Computer parts list, any suggestions?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I often design computer builds as something to do until i get the cash to actually buy the parts. Heres what i have so far on my most recent one, a comparison in prices to an amd and intel gaming build, dont you just love how people think amd is so much cheaper?

So far:

AMD phenom II x4 970- BE 3.5ghz 150$ - Intel core i3 2120 3.3ghz 150$
ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G 60$ - ASUS H61-M LGA 1155 Intel H61 M ATX 70$
PNY GeForce GT 520 1gb DDR3 50$
CoolerMaster hyper 212+ 30$
CooloerMaster 600w eXtreme Power 70$
ASUS DVD drive 15$
crucial balistix sport 1333 ddr3 x4gb 30$

most of the parts i could use with either, but i have some questions. Would the power supply be overdoing it a bit? i dont plan on upgrading the cpu if i use the i3, but if i do i will also get a better mobo, preferably a full ATX instead of one of these crappy micros i hate so much. I am trying to save as much cash as possible, so i can build the thing sooner, kinda hard without a real job, not many workplaces for high schoolers, but anyhow. I kind of rounded up the prices of the parts i have so far, just to be safe, havent added shipping and tax costs yet, and im missing a hard drive (imma just get a hdd for now) and maybe anything else, i cant think of right now.

Is there anything i should change? i am trying to make it so i can upgrade in the future as the need arises, maybe replace the crap mobo for a better one so i can get another GPU and SLI/Crossfire )(if anyone have a similar performance/price radeon card for meh) probably an atx p67 or z68 when i do, this should last a long time if i can help it. as i have said, it will be a while before i get the cash to do something like that, but if there is alternatives to what i have that saves money but can still game then it would be greatly appreciated, the cheaper the sooner i build the thing. also can anyone find a good sized hdd for around 60 bucks? i used to know where one was on newegg but i cant find it now.

thanks.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
What is this system for?

the GT520 is a poor choice for gaming (unless ur not wanting to do anything but SIMS)

Drop the Hyper212+ and get a better GPU

try for the 560TI or 6950
also get a AM3+ Motherboard (if u choose AMD) so you have a little bit of future proofing

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
well its all about price. i know the 520 is an old card, with slower memory, but it is more of a placeholder. it just needs to handle older pc games like halo 3 or cod 4 and minecraft etc etc. and the hyper212 was for the phenom, things burn like the sun without good cooling from what ive read in many, many cases. and the mobo was a AM3 because am3+ is barder to find for the same price, and i dont think ill be going with the AMD anyway, more expencive, less performance, especially in the long run. and plus the 560ti? the thing is more expencive than my laptop! (asus k52f-bbr5 dual core pentium, 3gb ddr3, integrated GPU, can play minecraft on short render distance with no smooth lighting, but still a nice little laptop for 300 bucks.)