Need Advice For First Build

stamm2311

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or so, I would like to purchase it as soon as possible but if prices go down after the holidays I can wait.

Budget Range: My max is about $1200 so something at or below that. I would like it to be before rebates but if it comes down to getting a good part and having to wait for the rebate thats fine.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, audio editing, surfing the internet/streaming movies or tv shows, school work, some photo/video editing.

Parts Not Required: I already have a monitor I will probably reuse but may get a new one or use a 26 inch 1080p hdtv I have, extras like a keyboard or mouse I do not want to factor into the system cost.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have been looking mostly on newegg.com and tigerdirect.com just looking for the better price but I would be willing to check other places for who ever has the best deal or the best customer service/return policy.

Parts Preferences: I would like an Intel cpu and had been looking at an Asus motherboard because I like the bios and the features they have, I also like Nvidia graphics cards but am willing to get an AMD card if it is a better value or has better performance.

Overclocking: Yes, I would like to start with a slight overclock at first to get some extra performance but I probably will not overclock to much until I get a little experience with it.

SLI or Crossfire: In the future if I need a graphics boost I would consider adding another video card for SLI or Crossfire but to start with a single GPU is enough.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I plan on keeping this PC for a few years so the ability to upgrade and expand or just parts lasting in general is a plus. Having USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case, the ability to fit a radiator in the case, a semi modular power supply, and being quiet is also something I would like but is not a dealbreaker looking mostly for price to performance. Here is a list of parts that I had been looking at, your opinions on the quality of the parts I have selected or a recomendation for something that is better value would be greatly appreciated. The cpu cooler is something a little extra I would like to make my pc a little quieter and some reviews I read say it is the best non custom cpu cooler. I was not sure if I was spending too much on certain parts like the motherboard since a lot of other builds I have looked at around my price range do not usually spend that much on the motherboard. Thank you.

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

GIGABYTE GV-N560UD-1G GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Rosewill RNX-N360PC (RNWD-11003) IEEE 802.11b/g/n, PCI, Wireless-N Adapter

Corsair CWCH100 Hydro H100 CPU Liquid Cooler

phensen

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
The P8P67 Deluxe is a VERY nice motherboard. It's probably more than most of us need, but with the H100 it should overclock extremely well. You can compare the different specs on Asus P67 motherboards at their site to see if you'd be happy with one of their lower models:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Intel_P67

If you do go with the deluxe, here's a nice OC guide for that MoBo: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/3

It looks like you've put together a nice system that will last you a good long while!

EDIT: Newegg currently has a bundle on the 2500K + P8p67 deluxe that saves you $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.777268

If you're only doing a slight overclock then your motherboard is more than you need. If you want that board with the H100 then you might as well get the i5-2500k up to at least 4.6GHz and might even hit 5GHz if you tried too.

stamm2311

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
If I were to downgrade the motherboard to the pro version (ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155) to save a little bit of money would I still be able to achieve an overclock of say 4.5Ghz, also would overclocking to that point cause any problems like shortening the lifespan of the cpu because I intend to keep it for a few years and do not want it to crap out on me after a year or two.

stamm2311

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Looking at some upgrades in the future do you think that power supply is powerful enough to support another gtx 560 ti if I need some extra graphics performance when the single one starts to become obsolete and will the psu be able to handle an ssd for an os drive and possibly another hdd for storage/raid configuration as well?

phensen

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

This article recommends an 800+ power supply for 560ti sli plus an overclock:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14