Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2011 1:15:53 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: $600-$700 USD Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: CAD(Revit Architecture), office use, surfing the web

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com / microcenter

Parts Preferences: Best performance for price

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: Needs to be able to render 3D revit models

------------------

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER - $50

CPU: Core i5 2400 - $150

PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D -$45

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $40

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7200 RPM -$90

ODD: LITE-ON DVD Burner - $18

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 -$125

GPU: PNY VCQ600-PB Quadro 600 1GB - $170

Total ~$690

Appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

More about : home office cad build

December 21, 2011 4:04:18 AM

The PSU seems under-powered. I suggest something 500 watts or higher - Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.
Score
December 21, 2011 4:28:38 AM
Related resources
December 21, 2011 4:41:29 AM

this is a good suggestion but he is looking into CAD projects not gaming. Hes gunna need the quadro card for high performance. Where you planning to do more than CAD? Im also a CAD user and i also run multiple other programs. In your case ide suggest the x6 or look into the FX chips. I know the FX chips are a failure, but they are on par with many intels on multitasking difference programs. If gaming is in mind then the x6. And i also agree with the above statement about the UNDER powered PSU. Look into between 400-500 watt.

Last but not LEAST....get an SSD!!!! not the cheapest things on the planet but man i gotta say its a big difference when your running cad with multitabs open and other things. You get yourself a 80gb Intel SSD(or other brand) and man your gunna see a huge diff in CAD speed and efficiency.
Score
December 21, 2011 5:16:29 AM

Quote:
this is a good suggestion but he is looking into CAD projects not gaming. Hes gunna need the quadro card for high performance.

I was using the 1055 in a CAD station and it worked perfectly until the motherboard died. In my experience I've never really seen much of a difference between Quaddros, Fire Pros, and regular graphics cards. Maybe it's just that I don't have an eye for fine details like that.

Quote:
Im also a CAD user and i also run multiple other programs. In your case ide suggest the x6 or look into the FX chips. I know the FX chips are a failure, but they are on par with many intels on multitasking difference programs. If gaming is in mind then the x6. And i also agree with the above statement about the UNDER powered PSU. Look into between 400-500 watt.

What does this have to do with FX? The X6 is a perfectly capable workstation CPU, and it's a far better bang-for-buck option than any Intel CPU is right now.

The X6 is fine, if he were to get an Intel CPU in that range it would be the i3-2120, which isn't a bad CPU in and of itself but if you go any higher with Intel it will cost you.

Quote:
Last but not LEAST....get an SSD!!!! not the cheapest things on the planet but man i gotta say its a big difference when your running cad with multitabs open and other things. You get yourself a 80gb Intel SSD(or other brand) and man your gunna see a huge diff in CAD speed and efficiency.

SSD is *NOT* what I would recommend for this build. I only recommend SSDs if they've got the budget for it, since you almost always have to pair it with a secondary storage option to get the most out of it. Since that isn't the case with this build, that's why I recommend a single primary storage option like the Caviar Blue, then you can add the SSD later on.
Score
December 21, 2011 6:31:16 AM

GeForce cards are just fine for rendering, as long as we ain't talking big files..... yes, if ya wanna get serious, the Quadro is the way to go but for it to matter, those kinda cards are well above the $700 range ya have for the entire PC. The SSD will help cut a quarter second off opening and saving files but other than that, ya won't know its there. For typical file sizes, a hybrid drive like the Momentus would be the best solution on a budget....CPU and memory speed are key..... I have yet to out a CAD box on a desk in a production environment that didn't cost $2000.
Score
December 21, 2011 2:05:39 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
GeForce cards are just fine for rendering, as long as we ain't talking big files..... yes, if ya wanna get serious, the Quadro is the way to go but for it to matter, those kinda cards are well above the $700 range ya have for the entire PC. The SSD will help cut a quarter second off opening and saving files but other than that, ya won't know its there. For typical file sizes, a hybrid drive like the Momentus would be the best solution on a budget....CPU and memory speed are key..... I have yet to out a CAD box on a desk in a production environment that didn't cost $2000.

Have you ever used an SSD while running large cad projects? I dont think so. The difference is quite noticiable. Plus the fact that you never run just ONE spreadsheet of CAD, you run multiple. Ill say yes to the x6 and maybe if you get a good geforce card, but SSD is a big difference. If you get a 60-80gb ssd it might run you a bit more but when you have windows and cad installed on there you will see a big diff. not quarter second, more like continuous flow and start up times of multiple projects.
Score
December 21, 2011 3:05:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far. I will definitely change out PSU and most likely switch to a AMD x6 for the CPU/Mobo. I will probably grab the best GPU the rest of my budget allows and save a SSD as future upgrade.
Score

Best solution

December 21, 2011 3:11:56 PM

Quote:
GeForce cards are just fine for rendering, as long as we ain't talking big files..... yes, if ya wanna get serious, the Quadro is the way to go but for it to matter, those kinda cards are well above the $700 range ya have for the entire PC

If the Quaddros were more competitively priced I'd be more inclined to recommend them but for a $700 PC you could be spending half your budget on the video card alone.

Quote:
The SSD will help cut a quarter second off opening and saving files but other than that, ya won't know its there. For typical file sizes, a hybrid drive like the Momentus would be the best solution on a budget...

That's actually not a bad way to go either, but with the shortages a 500GB Momentus runs $200, the 750GB model runs almost $300 right now.

Quote:
CPU and memory speed are key..... I have yet to out a CAD box on a desk in a production environment that didn't cost $2000.

When I built mine it originally cost somewhere around the $1300 mark (early 2007 hardware - C2D, 2GB RAM, etc), but when I rebuilt it earlier this year I spent maybe less than $550 (new case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and SSD) and it's blazing fast. But yeah these types of systems can get really pricey, and workstation hardware is far more expensive, and I've never really seen the advantages it offers over what's more easily available (the "gamer" hardware).

Quote:
Have you ever used an SSD while running large cad projects? I dont think so. The difference is quite noticiable. Plus the fact that you never run just ONE spreadsheet of CAD, you run multiple. Ill say yes to the x6 and maybe if you get a good geforce card, but SSD is a big difference. If you get a 60-80gb ssd it might run you a bit more but when you have windows and cad installed on there you will see a big diff. not quarter second, more like continuous flow and start up times of multiple projects.

SSD is a good idea, there's no question about that one. But what I'm getting at - unless there's no central file storage (extra HD / central server) available they're kind of useless and will fill up really quickly, and then you'll regret not having the extra space. If you have such a limited budget, it's best to get the mechanical HD now, then add the SSD later on as an upgrade.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far. I will definitely change out PSU and most likely switch to a AMD x6 for the CPU/Mobo. I will probably grab the best GPU the rest of my budget allows and save a SSD as future upgrade.

I use the X6 in my home system and I can easily say it's one of the best price / performance CPUs on the market, and for $149 it's practically a steal compared to the i3-2120 (which I also use).
December 21, 2011 10:48:58 PM

Quote:

SSD is a good idea, there's no question about that one. But what I'm getting at - unless there's no central file storage (extra HD / central server) available they're kind of useless and will fill up really quickly, and then you'll regret not having the extra space. If you have such a limited budget, it's best to get the mechanical HD now, then add the SSD later on as an upgrade.

sorry i didnt make it clear. I agree with the SSD not storing enough files on it. What i meant was have an SSD dedicated just for the program + OS on it and a good 500-1tb hard drive for storage. I currently run the OCZ Vertex just for win7 and certain programs . all files are stored in WD hard drive.
Score
December 21, 2011 10:52:30 PM

andrey64 said:
Quote:

sorry i didnt make it clear. I agree with the SSD not storing enough files on it. What i meant was have an SSD dedicated just for the program + OS on it and a good 500-1tb hard drive for storage. I currently run the OCZ Vertex just for win7 and certain programs . all files are stored in WD hard drive.
Quote:

I do the same thing - I have my Crucial M4 which I use for OS and a few main programs then I store everything else on a Samsung Spinpoint.
Score
December 22, 2011 3:55:43 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I do the same thing - I have my Crucial M4 which I use for OS and a few main programs then I store everything else on a Samsung Spinpoint.

well i think i know what agnahc will do now.
Score
December 23, 2011 2:01:03 AM

Best answer selected by agnahc.
Score
!