I would love help on finding a new graphics card!

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Like many others, I am having trouble finding a card that will work with my computer. I have searched many forum posts, and I have looked at a lot of card comparisons, but I am still having trouble.

HP Pavillion
System Model: NY544AA-ABA p6210f

This simple computer is obviously in need of an upgrade....

I would love some help with upgrading ideas for power supply, graphics, etc.

I can provide more details, but I am unsure of what exactly is needed. Thank you so much for your help and support.

I will be playing games such as portal, left for dead, WoW [ultra?], and others of that degree. In other words, I will not be needing as much demand as with other games.

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
"Combined power on +5V and +3.3V rails not exceed 175W max"
"Combined power on +12V and +5V rails not exceed 268W max"
"Continuous total dc output power shall not exceed 300W"

My screen resolution is: 1680x1050

My budget for a card would most likely be around $180, and anything else will have to be considered after seeing the product.

Thank you so much for responding, I hope this is what you are asking for..

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
You guys all are amazing! Thanks so much!

I am most likely going to upgrade my power supply, and go with the 6870. I feel like this will provide me with what I need to upgrade again in the future.

Stupid question: These will all physically fit in my case right? haha

If you're just now looking to upgrade an old pc then by the time you upgrade again, it would be best to just buy a whole new pc. There are many many many threads of people with that same hp case that come on here for a gpu upgrade, you can search the forum or even google. If you really want to make sure on dimensions you can, but the connections/compatibility is all standard atx and pcie 2.0 is compatible with every pcie version, so no worries there.

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I was thinking something along the lines of the GTX 460.
That suggestion helps a lot.

You can tell I haven't dabbled into this kind of stuff a lot..

The EVGA looks like a way better deal

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I just need to learn what all the stuff means on the titles of cards haha. It would probably help a lot....

But that is something I will have to do myself, I won't make you explain haha.

Amd has stepped up their drivers. Smoother picture?, screenshots show identical image quality and amd wins in hqv. Amd or nvidia I could care less which. The 460 rivals the 6850 which are also priced around the same. But you stated wow which every blizzard game prefers nvidia.

hert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I never know which card is better because I don't know what they fit with.

I am for sure getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

So I need to know which card will work best with it. I heard the same thing about Blizzard and nvidia, so maybe I will consider one.

If you don't mind explaining, how do I know the max card I can have? And why?

I am trying my best not to make you guys do all the work for me, but if you are willing to help, I won't stop you :)