Solved

Sufficient power supply wattage for i7-920 OC and new video card

Hi,

I'm planning to do an overclock on my i7-920 (probably no more than 3.5gHz) and I'm going to upgrade to either a radeon 7870 2gb or gtx 570 2gb.
Right now I have a corsair 650W supply, I think this should suffice but I wanted to get some feedback and opinions before I do anything rash.

Thanks!
-- Mark
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sufficient power supply wattage video card
  1. Hello,

Your current PSU should be fine. Do you know the exact model name of your power supply?

The 7870 and 750 aren't exactly power hungry GPUs.
  2. Best answer
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 570 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2)
    • +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps
    • two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M (CMPSU-650TXM)
    • +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps
    • two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

Corsair Professional Series HX650W (CMPSU-650HX)
    • +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps
    • four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX650 (CMPSU-650AX)
    • +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps
    • four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

All four Corsair 650W models are more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 570 or a single Radeon HD 7870.

There is plenty of reserve capacity available for overclocking of the CPU and GPU.
  3. I don't have the manual in front of me right now but i'm about 75% certain its a TX650 corsair.

Thanks for all the input!
    -- Mark
  4. While on the subject, is there a windows utility that shows what the wattage/amperage is during use? (cpu, gpu, etc)

Thanks,
    -- Mark
  5. Best answer selected by huitlacoche.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Intel i7 Components