Solved

Should I build an I5 or get a second 6950?

Hello,
I am currently using a q6600 @3.0 ghz on a gateway OEM pc with a 2gb 6950 unlocked. I am debating about wether I should save up and build an I5 2500k system piece by piece, or get a mobo and case for my current cpu so I can overclock it and drop in a second 6950. Any advice?
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should build 6950
  1. You're not going to overclock a gateway so IMO its time to build as the quad core you have is selling really good on auction sites.
  2. But he has already overclocked, the q6600's standard speed is 2.4ghz
  3. I did the infamous tape mod that got it to 3.0 ghz lol. WHat I was thinking was getting a case and mobo so i can push the clocks further and drop a second 6950. At the same time an I5 system looks really good to. The thing is to, how much would q6600 hold back a 6950, especially in crossfire? If I go the I5 route I will build it piece by piece hoping to finish it by the fall
  4. At the same speed the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors can outperform a Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quad by about 15% to 20%. The 2nd generation Intel Core processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K, can outperform the 1st generation Intel Core processor by around another 10% to 15%. So at the same speed a 2nd generation Intel Core processor would outperform a Intel Core 2 Quad by maybe 30%. Now since games performance is heavily based on a video card you may not see this big of a performance increase in a game due to the importance of a video card.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  5. What about going from ddr2 to ddr3? I have heard that there is some noticable gains in stepping up to the new standard but havent read anything personally. I just dont want to get a second video for crossfire to have it crippled. Anyone seen any benchmarks with q6600 overclocked and an i5?
  6. Best answer
    IMO upgrade to an i5-2500k
    You won't see a huge increase aside from CPU heavy titles and better minimum frames, but on your current CPU, you will have a CF bottleneck. Once you upgrade to an i5, then I'd think about saving for a second 6950.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=288
    At the bottom you see a comparison between your CPU and an i5 in games, this does not show CF/SLI, but it gives you an idea of what to expect before throwing CF into the mix.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_5870_crossfire_cpu_scaling_performance_part_2,4.html
    This shows CPU scaling with CF. It doesn't have the 2nd gen SB CPU's or the 6950's but it's got the 1st gen SB and the Core 2 CPU's paired with 5870's. It should give you a better idea on the overall performance difference on core clocks and such between the cpu's. Example: Your CPU at 3.6ghz would get a minimum FPS of 20, an i3 5xx (dual core none-the-less) at the same posts 32 FPS minimum which is playable compared to 20.
  7. Wow that is almost a 100% improvement over the q6600 and thats the previous generation of I5's as well. I guess I will be conservative with my money and focus on building an I5-platform. I guess by the time I finish this, the 6950 may come down a lot more in price, might even go for a triple crossfire if they are cheap enough lol......or turn to the dark side and get 6xx series card lol
  8. Best answer selected by mendedsoul.
  9. mendedsoul said:
    Wow that is almost a 100% improvement over the q6600 and thats the previous generation of I5's as well. I guess I will be conservative with my money and focus on building an I5-platform. I guess by the time I finish this, the 6950 may come down a lot more in price, might even go for a triple crossfire if they are cheap enough lol......or turn to the dark side and get 6xx series card lol

I, myself, have been tempted to get a 6xx series. Last time I had a Nvidia card was back in the gtx8800 times. :)

The improvement is roughly 50%+ in minimum frames which is pretty significant when running crossfire/sli since you're already dialing in stutter possibilities by going for a dual setup. If you can go for a triple that'd be amazing :) 4-4.5ghz with 3 6950's you'll have less chance of microstutter and the such compared to a dual setup. Not sure why this is but there are benchmarks and the like showing so. lol

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html
    article regarding CF vs Trifire and the like :)
  10. Dont buy anything until you can afford it all unless you find it on a heck of a sale. PC parts dont generally go up in price unless they're really scarce so thelonger you wait the cheaper it will be.
  11. Well I would get a case and other things that dont get cheaper such as the PSU, the mobo and cpu would be the last things i would buy
  12. omega21xx said:
    I, myself, have been tempted to get a 6xx series. Last time I had a Nvidia card was back in the gtx8800 times. :)

The improvement is roughly 50%+ in minimum frames which is pretty significant when running crossfire/sli since you're already dialing in stutter possibilities by going for a dual setup. If you can go for a triple that'd be amazing :) 4-4.5ghz with 3 6950's you'll have less chance of microstutter and the such compared to a dual setup. Not sure why this is but there are benchmarks and the like showing so. lol

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html
    article regarding CF vs Trifire and the like :)

I hat an 8600 for like a week but I didnt like it for some reason and got a 4850 lol. Though I had a nvidia 6600, ran BF2 pretty great but died violently on crysis at low settings lol
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Build Intel i5