Sign in with
Your question

Asrock extreme 4 not detecting gigabyte 7850

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2013 1:48:04 PM

Hi, I've seen a few threads relating to this issue and have tried some suggestions in there, but nothing seems to be working.

i5 3740k
asrock extreme 4 z77
Gigabyte HD 7850 OC

The graphics card worked fine on my old mobo, but when I put it onto my new one it just doesn't recognise it. I can connect my monitor up through the graphics card in the PCIE slot, but it just shows as standard VGA in device manager and GPU-Z.

I've tried updating the BIOS on both the mobo and the graphics card, tried using different PCI express slots, reset CMOS but nothing seems to work.

I presume it's connected properly as it can still run a standard VGA display, but for some reason it does not recognise the HD 7850.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont have a great PSU, but it was working with the same PSU on my last motherboard so I dont really think it's that.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 2:09:31 PM

I take it you're using the on-board graphics right now...
If so, then you have to go into bios and turn that off and set it to use the pci-e as initial graphics...look at you mobo book...
After that you just need to install the latest drivers from AMD...
Related resources
February 2, 2013 2:25:10 PM

My DVI cable is plugged into the graphics card and I'm getting a display, but it's just showing as a standard VGA display adapter. BIOS graphics is set to PCI-E. I'll try a full driver clear and reinstall.
February 2, 2013 3:01:24 PM

The latest drivers sorted the problem. Cheers :) 
!