Sign in with
Your question

Buy new CPU or Good Cooler ?

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2012 9:52:53 PM

hi . im struggling with my phenoms 955BE . i got 2 suggestions from my friends

1.buy Noctua dh-n14 Cooler for my Phenom 955 BE & bring it from 62C to safe range

2.Buy i5 2400 , because its Cool & wont harm even with stock cooler . & will never hit 60 C with stock cooler .

if i go with option 2 .i get new CPU & i will get rid of Heat . but its totaly risky

my Case is Cool enough , but i had to put my 6870 twinfrozr 2 in closest PCI E to Phenom , n it somehow blows whole hot air to my CPU . n i think only GOod cooler with strong airflow will help , because it will throw whole the hot air out !

so WHICH ONE I should do ? Option 1 or 2 ?

More about : buy cpu good cooler

a b à CPUs
March 26, 2012 10:09:58 PM

a c 218 à CPUs
March 26, 2012 11:11:09 PM

What is risky about option 2? The i5 2400 is an amazing processor and one of the best processors you can get for gaming. It's literally a better gaming CPU than anything AMD makes at any price. It's a huge upgrade from what you have now no matter how high you overclock it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2012 11:21:37 PM

62c at load or idle? 62c at load is fine, at idle you have an issue most likely with your cooler install
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2012 11:42:22 PM

A new CPU means that you will also need a new mobo. The cooler is cheaper but doesn't necessarily fit with your upgrade plan.
March 27, 2012 11:20:02 AM

62 at Load , & im sure anything higher than 60 will be harmfull in long time ! By the way , i know that i5 2400 will require new mobo , ill grab z68 , no problem . my point is

If i get i5 2400 ! i might experience same thing ? high heat ? something around 62 C ?

listen man i hardly keep it even at 60C , i keep it cool by an outside normal House Coolers ! i better say FAN ! donno what you guys call it .

If i get i5 2400 i just wanna be sure that i wont experience the same heat problem that i have with My Current phenom 955BE ( i dont OC IT ) . otherwise if its RISK & i5 2400 might heat up like the one i got then i just gonna Grab Noctua Cooler & ill get rid of HEAT !
March 27, 2012 11:29:19 AM

I should mention that my PROBLEM IS HEAT , not PERFORMANCE . at first i wanted to grab Noctua dh-n14 & get rid of High heat !

But i think i5 2400 is much faster than my phenom 955BE & if it work COOL Enough with Stock cooler then its great ! i get both new CPU & cool hardware !

i should mention that if i buy i5 2400 i wont be able to pay even 0.5 cent for my system ! so IF i5 2400 with Stock Cooler wont go above 60C then im buying it !

PLEASE help me im so confused , some people say grab i5 2400 , some people say , i5 2400 might hit 60C , Grab the Cooler !
March 27, 2012 3:05:21 PM

I'd get the cooler (you can find a better one). Hell for the $100 you're dropping I'd get closed water system and keep it below 50.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2012 5:27:55 PM

why don't you get a cooler master hyper 212+ and save some money, i had one on my Phenom II x4 955 and it kept the CPU cool even with an OC to 3.8ghz
March 28, 2012 11:56:11 AM

Realy ?? honestly Some of my Friends told me to buy That one ( 212+ ) , but anyway , since i gonna pay for cooler , i better pay for something that will work much better !

212 is good , but if i get noctua , i feel it will be much better decision , by the way , noctua vs coolermaster's h50 , Noctua had better benchmarks !

& i heard alot about noctua , everywhere ! donno i feel its great option since its 2x120mm & 1x140 mm fan ( 3 Big Fans ) & 2 heatsinks , isnt it GREAT ?

how much will my temps be with noctua ?
March 28, 2012 4:08:38 PM

Yes, the Noctua has better benchmarks than the 212.

Look at ninjalane for reviews on both. As far as water, you're looking at the base and not a great version. Compare apples to apples. Antec 920 does better than both.

Overall the noctua does a better job, yes, but cost vs decrease not so much. I'd still go with the 212 or water. Noctua does the job but wow.
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2012 4:39:53 PM

What case do you have? What sort of fan arrangement does it have? Are you using the stock AMD HSF on the CPU? I have a fairly small Lian Li mini ATX case and my Phenom II X4 @ 4.0 Ghz doesn't top 56C using Prime95 with a single fan Xigmatek cooler.

Buying a new motherboard and CPU seems crazy to try to take care of a heat issue (if you're satisfied with your PC's performance otherwise).
a c 188 à CPUs
March 28, 2012 4:48:10 PM

The Noctua is a great cooler but you can pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and add a second fan for about $40 total. While it isn't as good as the Noctua is getting close and for a lot less.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
March 28, 2012 4:51:14 PM

DukiNuki said:
hi . im struggling with my phenoms 955BE . i got 2 suggestions from my friends

1.buy Noctua dh-n14 Cooler for my Phenom 955 BE & bring it from 62C to safe range

2.Buy i5 2400 , because its Cool & wont harm even with stock cooler . & will never hit 60 C with stock cooler .

if i go with option 2 .i get new CPU & i will get rid of Heat . but its totaly risky

my Case is Cool enough , but i had to put my 6870 twinfrozr 2 in closest PCI E to Phenom , n it somehow blows whole hot air to my CPU . n i think only GOod cooler with strong airflow will help , because it will throw whole the hot air out !

so WHICH ONE I should do ? Option 1 or 2 ?

My brother has the 955BE as well with stock cooler.. idle is around 35 C and load about 65 C.. no problem.. i found out that the first 2 years it was running 50 C idle and up to 85 C Load due to bad cooling paste....
U can also try repaste your processor and look how it goes ;) 
March 28, 2012 6:06:29 PM

Well i heard its always Safe to keep CPU under 60 . It might be fine for now . but in long time it will be harmful for CPU . ANyway its new System & i realy wanna keep it COOL & SAFE !

IF Coolermaster 212+ is ENough then noctua is more than enough , so whats the point to go for higher Stuffs ?

Coolermaster 212+ with second dan on it will be good to . GO check Out My CASE Please . down here :D 

http://www.green-case.com/products/case/midi/case.php?m...

Please Confirm that Noctua Will fit in this CASE .

Its already a Gaming Case . i used stock cooler , TOo loud & same heat issue , i changed it & bought very very Cheap & small cooler . its not loud but i experience same heat issue , idle 35C & load 62C to 65C .

& PLEASE tell how temps will be with Noctua ?? since my 6870 is in closest pci e to cpu then its matter of airflow that im sure that Noctua will handle that too .

March 28, 2012 6:10:38 PM

Kemperkipie, hasnt your bro's phenom 955 got slower ? because one of damages that heat can cause is Slowing Down the Hardware !

because working at 80C for 2 years can cause big Damage ! !!

March 28, 2012 6:38:38 PM

If you have money to burn then burn it. Geeze. I would rather have the additional $50 in my pocket for something else and go with the 212+, but that's just me.

jeffredo - Which Xigmatek cooler are you using? I have the 7000B nMediaPC case and need something that can keep the temps down and fit in the case.
March 28, 2012 8:13:59 PM

DukiNuki said:
Kemperkipie, hasnt your bro's phenom 955 got slower ? because one of damages that heat can cause is Slowing Down the Hardware !

because working at 80C for 2 years can cause big Damage ! !!

nope, still working at 3200Mhz and besides clock speed never noticed any speed reducements... I've never heard of permanent slow-downs due to constantly overheating.. But it still might happen... although he didn't noticed it, and doesn't suffer from it.. I think it's really safe to play 955BE at +/- 60C

But have you tried to repaste your cooler on the chip? And made sure that there is no dust in the airflow from in to your pc, all the way to your CPU and out..
March 29, 2012 7:38:45 AM

No , ill try that too , but since many have same problem with stock or something around stock cooler then ... its totaly normal !!

Now i realy dont know who to trust !!! that 60-62C that i mentioned happens only when i put FAN infront of my case ( which is so bad , cz i might catch acold & .., )without that it can go to 67 !!!! which part of that IS SAFEE ???

By the way , i should say that im living in hot area , ( desert ) , So it means i Realy Have to make sure about the Cooler im geting , i dont wanna experience another FAIL !

Hardwares work faster when they are cooler , so why not geting something that will be GREAT option for OCing , other hardwares , all conditions , summer hot days & ........... !!

not that i dont trust 212+ , I just wanna be 10000% sure !

anyway , please confirm that both will fit in my CASE !
!