Sign in with
Your question

Questions from a first timer

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2013 2:08:08 PM

Hi, this is my first system build and I have a few questions I have not been able to figure out through research. I've looked up alot of stuff, and some of these im just unsure on, but I would greatly appreciate the help.

2. Does the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 Z77 have built in wireless? it says theres a bluetooth connector that supports wi fi. Does that mean I don't need an external wifi dongle? (i've been using built in wireless on a laptop for years, don't know if desktops have built in wifi these days)
3. The cm storm trooper has esata, how do i know whether its 6 or 3gb/s?
4.2 If I used a 3.0 to 2.0 adapter would the usb 3.0 run slower (at the speed of a usb 2.0 port)?
5. Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 Z77 only supports memory speeds up to 1600mhz. I've seen some over 2500mhz. How crippling is this?

I'll remove questions as they're answered (and when I understand the answers) so that this becomes less of a wall of questions :) 

More about : questions timer

February 3, 2013 8:46:34 AM

Any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really expecting one person to answer them all :/ 
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 3, 2013 9:42:38 AM

That's what I thought too. Too many questions for single thread.
1. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and...
so the answer should be yes but in reality it depends on the applications http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-determi...
or
http://itexpertvoice.com/home/multi-core-support-in-win...
3. Try contacting the manufacturer and see if the SATA cable is 6GB/s. Otherwise, you can connect it to a board SATA 6GB/s port. But I wouldn't use a SATA III port for eSATA.
Do you have a SATA III external drive?
4. For 2 USB it should have only one 20-pin connector.
5. Try using manufacturers (Corsair, Kingston. GSkill) configurators for avoiding RAM issues.
Related resources
February 3, 2013 6:14:43 PM

Thanks alot for the input! really do appreciate it. I realised I had too many questions, but didn't want to spam the forums with multiple threads.

1. Those were interesting articles. Looking at how mutiprocessing works as a whole has given me a much better general idea on the topic. My impression is that even if its not fully incorporated yet, theres a good chance it'll become more efficient. Since I usually have alot going at once, its probably worth invested in an i7. It should help given that im using very popular applications which should be accommodated for. A good investment given the difference in price isn't that much.

The maths gave me a headache (reminded me of uni lol), but I found the anti-convoy information very useful. Another reason for me to hate vista (never realised the freezing was just a vista issue).

3. I'm completely lost on how this works) I know theres different speed ports and cables, but which is dominant? Like, if the SATA cable was 3GB/s, would plugging it into a 6GB/s port actually make it 6GB/s? Or would the 6GB/s cable be limited to the 3GB/s port? Would using a 6GB/s cable for all ports be advisable, or a waste in some situations? The same thing confuses me with usb 3.0>2.0 adapters. If I had a usb 3.0 and converted the header to 2.0 to use in a 2.0 port, would the speed be limited to 2.0?
Also I don't have a SATA III external drive.

4. Thanks, very clear :) 

5. I'm still trying to pick a motherboard atm, so far I've only researched cases, CPUs, GPUs and motherboards thoroughly. I took alook at the Corsair and Kingston configurators, and couldn't find the G1 sniper, or any of the sniper series? This is my first time using a configurator, just to make sure that I've gotten this right. The configurators give you information on the board (or desktop, etc) that you've looked up, and shows you max RAM capacity/speed/other useful info of the board, and which RAM it's compatible with? That seems very useful.

I'm still unsure on the performance difference between say a 1600mhz memory speed, and 2500mhz. Will it make that much of a difference with the system's benchmarks?

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks alot for your help.
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 3, 2013 6:34:15 PM

In fact only SSDs take advantage of the 6GB/s sped. The HDDs are limited by mechanical issues. Therefore, no advantage to have a 6GB/s eSATA.

RAM manufacturers list RAMs tested and guaranteed as compatible with the board.
Corsair: http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.as...
Kingston: http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=7&M...
The memory controller is integrated in the CPU. Most of them support at default settings 1600 MHz. Running RAMs at higher speeds means overclocking therefore a higher components stress, shorter life and I'm not sure if the gain in performance is worth the risk.
I would go with 1866 MHz RAMs, 1.5 or 1.35V.
February 3, 2013 7:04:10 PM

I see, that clears up what to do with sata cables, and what the RAM configurators do. Thanks :) 

I have heard that you can safely overclock. Although, i'm not looking to. I have noticed that all the products I've been favouring have been overclockable. So im trying to leave overclocking as an option for the future. The one thing that is not overclockable seems to be the speed of the RAM on the motherboard i want. Does that actually make a difference? Like, will it only slow down the overall performance of the computer an unnoticeable amount compared to overclocking up to 2500mhz, or will it be a large difference compared to motherboards which can overclock that high? Infact, would not being able to overclock one part of my system stop me overclocking the other components?

1600 to 2500 sounds like a big jump (doable on a few mobos I saw), but is it actually going to affect anything much at all? Such as benchmarks, would I actually see any difference in them?

Thanks alot for the swift response.
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 3, 2013 7:32:50 PM

The board supports up to 2800MHz. Here are some tests: http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000289/Intel...
Why do you say that the RAM is not OC-able? If you check the Gigabyte Memory Support List http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
there are listed RAM kits up to 2800MHz.
I understand you want a future proof board. No such thing, in my opinion, at least not yet (if you ask me, the desktops as we know them are coming to an end). I wouldn't spend too much money on features that I might never use. Average boards and CPUs on the market in the LGA 1155 sphere can run most if not all existing applications/games dedicated to a home user. OC-ing or benchmark are just a sport for enthusiasts.
February 4, 2013 9:41:21 AM

Hmm, so ram frequency doesn't seem to actually make much of a difference really. Thats good to know ^^ As for why I thought the RAM was not OC-able is because for some reason I thought i'd heard that it was locked in a previous review, and all the specifications i've seen for the board only said 1600mhz. Whereas on other board specs they'd usually say something like 1600mhz then show other speeds if OC'd.

I'm not really looking to OC, until my computer becomes very outdated anyway. Though I am looking into pretty much every option just to learn more and make sure I make the right build for myself. I plan to make my build and not really change it at all. My laptop lasted 7 years, and can still do most things, so im sure a top endish desktop can last me longer.

Thanks for all your help on that :)  I'm pretty clear (i think lol) on this now. Also managed to answer a few more questions through reviews and other research. So almost got this stuff into my head.

On a sidenote, i've tried giving your posts a thumbs up, it shows it when I do it, but then when I refresh it still says 0? I really do appreciate the help.
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 4, 2013 9:53:33 AM

You're welcome.
When decided about the components you can open a new thread on the Homebuilt section and ask opinions about the configuration.
I've seen threads where the initial setup was completely changed after few posts/answers. They have a standard form where you specify the budget, purpose, components a.s.o. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/353572-13-build-upg...
February 15, 2013 11:59:05 PM

Thanks again alex :)  Sorry for the really slow reply, been having some problems. I'll definitely take your advice ^^
!