40 GB SSD Lying Around - How to use?

ubertrout

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I recently inherited some PC equipment, including a 40 GB SSD, along with a new Core i7 and high-end ASUS mobo. I'm going to build a new primary system out of the CPU/Mobo, but I'm less sure about using the SSD. Is 40 GB really enough for a proper Windows 7 install?

I just ordered a 1 TB Samsung F3, which I figure will either be programs or boot/programs, depending what I do with the SSD. If I don't use the SSD in the main system I could put it in my HTPC, where the Win7 installation is very small and likely to stay that way, since I don't install many programs on my HTPC (and I'm sometimes frustrated by the WD Green which is the current sole drive in said HTPC).

So, should I use the SSD or Samsung F3 as my boot drive in my main system? Is the fast boot time of the drive worth what will undoubtedly be headaches on a system which will have a lot of programs installed?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If it's a Z68 it'd make for a good candidate for SRT (ssd caching). If not it's still plenty enough for a win7 install which typically installed is about 15GB. There are also slimline versions of a win7 install that can be significantly reduced from there.

Having your os on the SSD doesn't just effect boot times, it has an influence on the responsiveness of your overall system

Now, that being said a SSD can be a headache. Especially if it's an older SSD that doesn't support TRIM, has Jmicron or SF2000 controllers. You'll want to move your user profile off the SSD (which is a complete pain) move your temp and temporary folders, internet cache, there's also page filing and routine maintenence like defrag that has to be configed/disabled (although win7 does a decent job with this).

At the end of the day only you can be the judge as to if these types of headaches, and a steady buzz in the back of your head about space concerns (which even I have with 120GB available) is worthwhile.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
SRT is out, but I still say make use of it as a boot drive + a few games (stick with games that have a lot of loading as this is where the SSD will help). Just find an article that covers some of the basic SSD Win7 tweaks in order to keep runaway growth and write thrashing (Profiles, temp, cache) under control.

ubertrout

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, not gonna do that :p

This whole world of SSDs is mildly befuddling to me. I just learned a whole series of acronyms for physical discs over the past two decades. Now a whole different array comes along.

The mobo in my HTPC is a ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE - would that work better with the SSD than the X58-based mobo I'm using in my new build, or is it a wash?

I'm trying to figure out if the SSD supports TRIM, which seems important - although I'm not sure if Intel made a 50nm 40gb SSD (apparently the 50nm models don't support TRIM). I will need to figure out the exact model tonight, I suspect.