Purchasing Used Graphics Cards

Nisten

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Hey there, I am looking at a couple MSI 6950 2gb's right now, and according to the seller they have been used "for about a month". I'll take this with a grain of salt, but what would you look for when buying used? I would pick them up in person.

Somewhat reassuring is the fact that MSI offers a 3-year warranty on these cards, but I still am a little wary.

Any tips/advice you can spare?

Thanks a lot! :)

The warranty only applies to the original owner; the person who is selling it to you. That warranty does not transfer to you. If the card should develop issues within the 3 year warranty period and you want to get it serviced, you will need to have the person who sold it to you to go through the warranty process.

I would only buy the video card if there is a decent discount since you will basically not get a warranty for it. I would say 20% off the current price of the MSI HD 6950. Then again, I probably would prefer to pony up the money for a new card to get the warranty.

Nisten

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Not challenging you, just curious, but how would they know I was not the original owner?

The MSI 6950 ranges from $280-$300 depending on the model, and he is selling them for ~$220 before negotiation.

What do you think?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Tell this person you want to see these puppies running in his computer, playing a game, one at a time. Not a bullshit facebook flash game, but a real game and not crossfired. A game like Crysis 2, Crysis, Rage, whatever the highest demanding game he has on highest settings. Gotta make sure it games. He bought two 6950 2GB's, so I know he owns a higher demanding game of some sort. Unless he bought them to farm bitcoins or some stupid **** like that. If that's the case, you want to see some bitcoins in production lol. He's trying to sell a pretty penny worth of video cards so he'll show you. And just check that you don't see artifacts while he showcases his cards for a few minutes and that the fans work.

Other than that, unless it has physical/aesthetic flaws like it's obviously been taken apart or parts of the fan shroud are broken/melted or some weird anomalies like that, I'd say you're good to go.

Nisten

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Funny enough, he said he used them for bitcoin mining!

Nisten

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

I would pick them up in person, so I would tell him beforehand I'd like to see them in action for a few minutes.

He used them for bitcoin mining and no longer does it, so he doesn't need as many.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Then they've been used 24/7 for that "month." Those are cards are like dirty whores, they've been ridden hard and fast without mercy nor repspect for their well-being.

Warranties are generally only provided to the original owner. Having the original receipt from the original owner does not guarantee the 2nd owner will be also be covered by the warranty. XFX is the only company that explicitly states the warranty can be transfer from one owner to the next; however, the warranty can only be transferred once and in only applies in the US.

The chances of MSI or any company denying warranty service for second hand owners are extremely high in my opinion. Close to guaranteed denial.

Nisten

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice. The warranty is definitely and issue, especially if these cards have been run into the ground for whatever time he owned them.

Would you take these cards at any price, or call it a pass altogether?

Latest posts