HTPC Build for OTA DVR

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: Would like to stay under $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I'm cutting the cord on cable and I want to be able to record OTA HD. I also have a large number of tv shows/movies that I would like to be able to play back as well. Everything will go through a yamaha receiver to a 55" plasma. Will also use for some web surfing and downloading files.

Parts Not Required: Shouldn't need a monitor as i plan to just use my TV.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: doesn't matter.

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: No

Additional Comments: I was thinking about getting the HDHomeRun dual Tuner as well. I was looking at one of the ASROCK barebones systems like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158023 because i'm not super PC savvy and thought this would be the easy way to go. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, that bare bones system is just that. All it is, is the case, power supply, motherboard, and CPU. You'd still need to add the Hard Drive, Optical Drive, memory, Operating System, and External TV Tuner. All that completely blows your budget out of the water.

SAdams04's build looks good, but you'd need to add an operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $99) and put it all together yourself. It's not that hard to do and there are literally thousands of videos on YouTube that can help you.

-Wolf sends

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

So could I also use this with the HDHomeRun instead of the of the Hauppauge tuner? Only reason is because i want to be able to watch it on 2 different tv's....... Otherwise this looks good! Thanks.

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

So like i said i've never built a PC before and i'm thinking I need to buy a heatsink for the cpu/motherboard correct? I did not order one but when i was looking up instructions on building the PC it mentions it. Anything else i'll need? I bought everything that was suggested above from Newegg. Thanks.

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
So I bought almost exactly what was suggested above except i bought a WD 2.0 TB HD instead. While i put it all together and then i tried to install Windows 7 64bit from a bootable USB and it goes through loading all the files and then it gets to the "starting windows" section and then goes straight to a BSOD. I've done a lot of forum reading and found several similar problems but nothing has worked. This is my first build so could it be that i installed something incorrectly?

I went into the BIOS and it recognized all the RAM and everything else looked ok. Do i need to format the new HD before using it? Also i read that updating the bios could help. I have not loaded any drivers. I just put it all together and fired it up. I have a 24-pin power going to the MB and a 8-PIN that is near the graphics portion on the MB. I then have the HD plugged into the SATA1 slot and the DVD drive in the SATA2 slot. I also hooked up the power, reset, and led's to the MB as well.

I appreciate any ideas!

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the system actually loaded Windows to the point of "Starting Windows", then there is not likely to be anything wrong with your build. I'm not familiar with loading from a USB, so I can't help you there, but it sounds like something didn't transfer over correctly.

Oh... and formatting the hard drive is part of the Windows 7 installation process. No need to do it before hand.

-Wolf sends

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I think I'll trying loading it from a DVD tonight. I was doing some reading with problems very similar and some people had problems with the PSU not being compatible..... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2064-63-windows-install-hangs-starting-windows-screen

Wolfshadw

Titan
There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of different memory modules that would be compatible with your motherboard. It's unheard of for a motherboard manufacturer to test each and every memory module for compatibility. The RAM list is just to show what memory they did test. If you want to be absolutely sure that the memory you purchase is compatible, select memory from that list. Personally, I never check the RAM Compatibility lists and just make sure that the memory I do purchase meets the motherboard requirements (capacity, voltage, speed).

That being said, the only thing that jumps out at me is the fact that you purchased a single 4GB memory chip, rather than two 2GB chips. Shouldn't be an issue, but perhaps.

I'd definitely try the re-installation from DVD before spending any more money on different RAM. If your current system has compatible RAM, you may want to use that in your new system as a test case.

-Wolf sends

marinemail05

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Ok i'll try the DVD install. I actually bought 2 of the 4gb memory chips.