I am building a pc

bringit1712

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I am building a gaming rig, but I have no clue where or what I need to do. I want a really fast, overclockable CPU and GPU. I know I want the Intel i5 2500k. I would prefer a computer with a mouse, keyboard, and possibly a monitor.(monitor is no biggy, I can just buy one off of craigslist) My price range is ranging from $1250-$1500. Please help me out on this, good feedback would be much appreciated!

bringit1712

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Sorry about that, new to this site.

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Ok, good choice. Make sure you pair that with a nice motherboard. I reccomend the P8Z68-V[ for 169 at newegg or the ASROCK Extreme3 Motherboard.

At your budget just screams SSD at me. This will make your computer boot up much quicker and programs that you load on this and game loading times will be cut substantionaly.
Here are some SSD's that I reccomend.
Intel and kingston are solid brands. Also i would stay away from OCZ. I have it, it works great but i hear they have high failure rates.

Pair that with an MSI Froz 6970 and your good. Or a 6870.

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Let him learn and one day he will become the techie who builds.

@bringit1712

Fill out the form that Wolfshadw gave you and then post it here and we will help you. You will have to start reading a doing lots of research on the topic.

n-dru

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Depends, does he wanna become one? Or does he want to get a good gaming rig and that's it?

But yeah maybe I jumped the gun a little bit. So FWIW

Pair your 2500k with a good mobo, the one suggested above is good and you can also go for the same mobo but with a P67 chipset. Although with your budget you can afford the Z68. BE CAREFUL with overclocking if you are a newbie.

SSD for sure, there's a wide range available today at very decent prices. Grab an 80-100 GB drive for OS and major apps/games and a 1TB storage drive. RECYCLE your old SATA2 drive unless you're really strapped for space since HDD prices have skyrocketed.

2x4GBs of RAM should do, 1600 Mhz. Prices are rock bottom so you can get a high-end kit for peanuts these days. Corsair, Kingston, maybe G.Skill.

And maybe a 1GB HD 6950 GPU... excellent value card and you're not really sacrificing any performance as long as you're willing to tone down AA and MSAA in some games (only a few mind you!)

Dont'forget a quality PSU (I recommend Corsair...) and a decent case with good airflow and dust filters.

TRENDING THREADS