Receive Error Code 10, can not install wireless adaptor drivers

b34r

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I am running Windows 7 64-bit on my new desktop I recently purchased. When I tried to install my Belkin Wireless Adaptor, Windows said it was installing the device drivers but never completed it, so I rebooted and uninstalled. I then tried to install my other wireless adaptor (NetGear) and it too fails to install the adaptor. Once it asks to insert the USB adaptor, I plug it in but the installation program never finds it. Both adaptors appear in my Device Manager with the "!" and error code 10. I called tech support for NetGear and they were stumped. Any fresh ideas?

Belkin N150.. System Requirements

* PC running Windows 2000, XP, Vista

No Win 7 listed.

For the N300, here is a blurb off Amazon.

"26 of 27 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Drivers do not properly support Windows 7
I went through two orders of the WN111. The first was DOA hardware issue. The second had software driver issues. I downloaded driver version: 3.5.0.7 from Netgear site. I spoke with Netgear technical support who admitted they are experiencing issues with many of their drivers not having proper Windows 7 support. "

So looks like you either need to find another adapter to run on Win 7, or install Vista or XP.

b34r

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
That's perculiar - I could have sworn the boxes for both say they support Windows 7, and the netgear technical support says the N300 is supported by Windows 7.

Upon further review, I found that the particular motherboard I was using (EVGA P55) has issues with USB wireless network adaptors, and requires PCI adaptors. I RMA'd the motherboard and switched to an ASUS. I will report back once I have it built and running and see if that solves the issues. Otherwise I will take your advice and fall back onto Vista.