New GPU (and PSU?) for i7 930. $400/20k INR budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilpirate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of October

BUDGET :Upto USD $400/ INR 20k

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Hard-core gaming, High-def movies, Web development

CURRENT GPU: nVidia 9400GT
POWER SUPPLY: VIP 500W supply

SYSTEM SPECS: As I said - i7 930 and Intel WX58BP (workstation board!)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Quality is important ;) ... I've no preference for AMD or nVidia. I just want something that can live up to my gaming expectations ie hardcore gaming!

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 [can't get a monitor, parents will kill me. GPU,PSU is something that will be inside, so they have no way to know to about that ;)]

Should run the popular games fairly well. I've got enough heat sink in my CPU apart from the SMPS (two additional), but there's no AC in my room as of now.

I'm actually looking for a good GPU that'd harness the power of i7. So if the PSU isn't suited, I'm willing to change that too.

Note - I'm from Nagpur, India. The local dealers here sell too expensive so I prefer buying parts online from ebay or even flipkart.

Lutfij

Titan
I'm not familiar with the VIP PSU...maybe its for people who run WS boards :lol:

GTX 560TI with a 550W PSU - it'll run off that 500 but you're cutting the bread too thin - with that unfamiliar PSU brand.

something like an NZXT Hale90, XFX, coolermaster, thermaltake or seasonic for your PSU needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565
i am unsure if you can newegg, but these items are well below your budget, and at your resolution, max out just about everything with good potential to sli in the future with a power supply upgrade; which if its somethign if you want to do now, then get a bigger PSU than the one i listed

lilpirate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I'm India. Can't NewEgg anything. But I found GTX 560 Ti on ebay.in well under my budget (http://www.ebay.in/itm/Brand-New-ASUS-GTX-560-Ti-DirectCUII-overclocked-graphics-card-National-Warranty-/260878468895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cbd91871f).

What do you think of this PSU - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-M600-SMPS-ATX-12V-v2-31-BILL-/260869220449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3cbd046861

I know it's exceeding my budget, but I guess that'd be fine.

lilpirate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I think I will certainly go with it unless, of course, somebody comes up with something better :)

Lutfij

Titan
Solution

beenthere

Distinguished
You can determine how much power in watts and 12v rail amps. are required for your current and future build and what PSUs are quality built to provide reliability, from the link below. No guessing required, just objective, accurate useful data. Make sure to check the EXACT PSU model as not all models from a given brand are top quality.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

i wouldnt have given it the thumb up if it were a bad line from them or if it wouldnt work with what OP wants
just as i wouldnt recommend cooler master PSU's unless its the silent pro line, which is actually quite good

beenthere

Distinguished

My post was not in response to your's or anyone else's post. Some form of the OP's question is asked in this forum ~20 times or more per day. Instead of giving people a "fish for dinner", I've decided to "teach them how to fish", as it has far greater value for all concerned.

I'm giving people the TOOLS to learn to help themselves and other folks. ;) Just as you and I learned and now we are able to help others, all enthusiasts need to continue to learn and grow. Once they see how easy it is to properly and objectively determine their PC system power needs in watts and 12v rail amps., they can perform this easy task and show other enthusiasts how to do it. No guessing or speculation required. Knowledge is power and we all need more Power!

Lutfij

Titan
^ +2 i agree with beenthere - but the bigger picture will show you that most threads are opened by hit-and-run sorta people (not directed to this threads OP :D )

Good that you're educating them :) but time+threads will come with pricks who only want a simple answer...oh i also forgot to mention, there's a recent trend for most OP's to not read any url's watsoever and make brash arguments. :/

* the x series of PSU's from seasonic are reliable and for that price in his country - unbeatable :) though i found it weird to find brand new stuff on ebay cos thas where most dodgy folks hang around...no offence intended to anyone - but you do end up getting stuff that don't work and cant be returned.

** we just chose a good PSU with enough wattage to help OP get an sli running in the future...if needed.

lilpirate

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Haha! Anyway, I think I will go with Seasonic. BTW, can GTX 560 Ti live up to my expectations?

I just wish to be sure that all the games run good with all-high-settings. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.