Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Damaged dimm slot causing overcurrent?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2013 6:41:27 PM

Hi,

Just this week I purchased and put together my own gaming rig. I got it together without any issues, however, when I try booting it up it displays the error message "USB overcurrent status detected, system will shut down in 15 seconds". I looked this issue up and tried the usual solutions given such as checking the USB ports and the case for shorts circuits. When this yielded no results I took the motherboard out and tried booting up with only the processor attached and while I was doing this I notice both dimm slots had a hairline crack on top of them. When I put the ram in I got the overcurrent error again, and I'm wondering, are the hairline cracks causing this?
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 474 V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 8:20:07 PM

robbiemar said:
Hi,

Just this week I purchased and put together my own gaming rig. I got it together without any issues, however, when I try booting it up it displays the error message "USB overcurrent status detected, system will shut down in 15 seconds". I looked this issue up and tried the usual solutions given such as checking the USB ports and the case for shorts circuits. When this yielded no results I took the motherboard out and tried booting up with only the processor attached and while I was doing this I notice both dimm slots had a hairline crack on top of them. When I put the ram in I got the overcurrent error again, and I'm wondering, are the hairline cracks causing this?

the cracks on the latches or on the dimm slots themselves.if there in the slots...may want to rma the mb for safety.
the message your getting is not a dimm error but a message that somthing plugged into the usb port is pulling to much power.
most times it one of the i\o fingers or usb speakers or keyboards. some of the newer mb have bios patches to fix gaming keyboard and that message. if your mb is an asus and has the usb flashback port use it to update the mb bios. if not see if someone has a non gaming usb or ps/2 keyboard if your mb has ps/2 port and try and flash the bios.
m
l
February 2, 2013 11:31:15 PM

The cracks are just below the latches on the slots. Also, I've discovered the overcurrent error only occurs when the RAM is installed.
m
l

Best solution

February 2, 2013 11:45:33 PM

RMA the motherboard
!