Your question
Solved

PC boots, then shuts off right before post

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2011 3:27:48 PM

Recently I built my mother a new PC for an early x-mas present. Everything was working fine for a whole day, but the next morning when she went to turn it on, it would not post. Everything comes on, all the fans and hardware, but it shuts off right away. I have tried two different PSU's, and would assume it is a short somewhere, but unsure as how to check what or where the short is. Please help!

Her PC specs are:
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2
CPU - Intel i3 2100
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200 rpm 6.0Gb/s
PSU - Turbolink LC-A420ATX 420watt
GPU - Geforce 6600 LE
OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Please let me know if there is any other helpful info that I can provide. And thank you in advance.

More about : boots shuts post

December 21, 2011 3:30:07 PM

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Is the Ram used.
m
l
December 21, 2011 5:05:13 PM

Have you tried uninstalling all the cards and plugging them back in? Did you make sure the CPU heatsink is installed properly? I would also try reinstalling the CPU and make sure there aren't any bent pins.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 5:31:51 PM

If the CPU has bent pins it won't work fine for 24 hours.

What two PSUs did you try with that computer?

The 420w turbolink and what else?

What changed from when it worked to when it didn't?

Did she run windows updates? Update drivers? Install programs?
m
l

Best solution

December 21, 2011 5:33:47 PM

Disconnect EVERYTHING and start basic trouble shooting. No front panel USB connected/FP audio, etc. and only on-board video and 1 stick of RAM and CD/DVD. If it POSTs, throw in HDD. If it POSTs, throw in the 2nd stick of RAM. If it POSTs again, add in the video card. If it POSTs...you get the idea! Next connect USB to motherboard headers. Minimizing the number of variables/parts is the key to hardware diagnosis! :) 
December 21, 2011 5:43:46 PM

Raiddinn said:
If the CPU has bent pins it won't work fine for 24 hours.

What two PSUs did you try with that computer?

The 420w turbolink and what else?

What changed from when it worked to when it didn't?

Did she run windows updates? Update drivers? Install programs?

I beg to differ on the CPU having bent pins and it working for 24 hrs. I have had it happen to me on my current system. Bent the pin back and problem gone, its been stable for 9 months now.
m
l
December 21, 2011 7:14:01 PM

Just a dumb question but did you use the motherboard standoffs?
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:00:22 PM

Thanks for all the input, It turns out the power button had gotten stuck somehow within the 9 hours it was off. I just switched the reset button to power for now and will purchase a new tower for her. Thanks again for the help
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:02:17 PM

Best answer selected by infinite4.
m
l