Power Supply Buzzing

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I don't know why but every psu that I get always buzzes. I just got a new psu today because it was annoying that my old psu always made a buzzing noise and now this one just started buzzing as well. Do you guys know what the problem could be?

Solution
You need to RMA the unit right away, the others who posted here must not have never known about Coil Squeal. Some caps can make noises during charge and discharge but it is pretty rare and only very high loads. The coils on the other hands make the buzzing sounds even at low loads but especially audible at high loads. To make things short coil squeal could also be the sign of a defective unit if it is having the squeal through out the day and very often. It can kill the unit if happens to short any where in the coils.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Ok, sounds like your case may have a loose rivet or uneven spot near where your PSU sets. Take the PSU out and wiggle the area by hand. Try putting a thin layer of non-conductive material (rubber plastic, etc ) under the PSU screws when you put it back together

Hopefully you can find it. Let us know.

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

I'll try that out, thanks

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
It might, Easy thing to test, move it to a different Outlet for a bit. Plug it in without the surge protector, and see if it buzz. If not try it with the Surge Protector and see how it is.

Try a different room of the house. So that your on a different breaker in the box.

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

I've tried every room in the house and it still buzzes for some reason. I'm not sure what else I could try.

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Yep I'm positive that it's coming from the psu. I tried a different power cord and that didn't work either. I guess I'll just have to live with it lol. Thanks for your help.

You need to RMA the unit right away, the others who posted here must not have never known about Coil Squeal. Some caps can make noises during charge and discharge but it is pretty rare and only very high loads. The coils on the other hands make the buzzing sounds even at low loads but especially audible at high loads. To make things short coil squeal could also be the sign of a defective unit if it is having the squeal through out the day and very often. It can kill the unit if happens to short any where in the coils.

Solution

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Thanks man I appreciate it! I'll wait a couple days before I can say for sure that this Cyberpower UPS fixed the buzzing since the buzzing always comes and goes at random and I still need to test it with my replacement PSU whenever it gets here. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Ok so I've tested both my backup PSU which is the Seasonic X-Series 1050w that I just recently bought and my main PSU that I rma'd and got a replacement for a couple days ago, which is the Corsair ax1200w. Both start buzzing randomly for some reason even with them connected to my Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS so I think I'll just give up and deal with the buzzing noise. Maybe my ears are just too sensitive lol.

Douglas Winterpeg

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hi FFrncs2,
Bought a Seasonic x660 and had this same problem 3 times in a row. Returned the first 2 because of this very annoying buzzing/ coil whine and the 3rd I have now is just as loud.

I don't know what to do? Maybe try a different brand/ model. Read that Seasonic parts are in Corsair models aswell.
After researching PSU's for a new system Seasonic seemed to be top of line. Pretty annoyed that they would advertise these x series PSU's as silent when the 3 I've had are anything but.

Been emailing Seasonic USA, they suggested buzzing could be caused by compatibility issues with certain motherboards and graphics cards but PSU buzz sounds the same with nothing connected and started with a paperclip.

When asked if it's worth replacing the x660 yet again or would I just receive another with the same problem (and waste more money on postage), Seasonic support replied "It's worth a try but I can't guarantee it".
How can Seasonic advertise these as silent when the company themselves can't guarantee they will be free of this annoying buzzing/ whining noise?

Do any Seasonic x560 or 400 fanless owners notice this noise? Thinking of trying one of those models.

Sorry for the length, just really frustrated.
Thank you.

FFrncs2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Hey Douglas, Thanks for your reply. I know how you feel, this problem is very frustrating. I've actually given up trying to figure this buzzing problem out because I've tried everything except try a different psu brand other than Corsair and Seasonic. I would try a different brand other than those 2 if i had the money right now. If you can try another brand like please let me know how it went. Thank you and good luck.

trianglepineapple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

sir you are a hero! couldnt study at all with that sound plugging in to a normal outlet worked for me it was the surge protector i guess i wish you a great day thank you very much

Leander_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Maybe it's the gpu what makes the psu buzzing. I've the same issue. I bought another psu which had more amps on the 12v rial and it solved the problem. Maybe this wil help for you? I hope so!
Good luck!

lucdlm

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

I have a Kolink KL-500 500W '80 Plus Bronze' and it also makes a buzzing sound... Tried all sorts but cant seem to figure it out. Did you ever find out the issue?

Leander_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017