Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Failing Graphics card or software glitch?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2011 7:57:26 AM

System:
core i5 760
msi p55 gd65
asus engtx460
play at 1920x1080

This card is almost a year old now. Whenever i play Deus Ex Human revolution, i'll get artifacts after the load screen and the game crashes. The card runs at 70 C when i play the game and it is not overclocked. Some people said the card was failing, but i always had artifacts with some games and none with some other every since i bought it. A few weeks ago, i could play Call of Duty Black ops for hours without getting any errors and crashes. And it ran at 70 C at that time too. Whenever the game crashes i get some error saying "the kernel crashed and was successfully recovered". It's really frustrating because whenever i die in the game, it crashes when i restart a stage.

Please help me, is this software problem or hardware?

On a side note, should i get another 460 for sli to be able to play upcoming games like BF3 and Bioshock Infinity? or some other new card?
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 9:42:17 AM

Which PSU?
Check your CPU and GPU temps first and let us know.

Looks like your card was faulty ever since you got it.
Score
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:31:50 AM

it could be the card, but it could be other things like outdated drivers or a failing power supply. What make and model power supply do you have?
Score
Related resources
October 24, 2011 11:32:10 AM

I have a corsair 750TX i just updated the drivers. cpu temps hover around 55~60 C when gaming.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 11:51:40 AM

Temps are quite normal. PSU is good. If you are in warranty you can try for an RMA.
Score
October 24, 2011 1:08:58 PM

I cannot RMA, should i get a 460 for sli or will this die soon so that i should just get a single more powerful gpu??
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 1:59:43 PM

You can SLI it... but if there is a problem with the card, it would cause problems in the SLI setup as well. A single different card is also a good option.
The best one is... stick with the pain for a little while longer and let the HD7xxx cards come out in December, weigh your options then and get one.
October 25, 2011 1:49:03 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
You can SLI it... but if there is a problem with the card, it would cause problems in the SLI setup as well. A single different card is also a good option.
The best one is... stick with the pain for a little while longer and let the HD7xxx cards come out in December, weigh your options then and get one.

I am in no hurry to get a new card. Have ordered a few case fans to improve the airflow, hope that helps some. How much would the HD7XXX series cost approx. when it's launched? and will it bottleneck my setup?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:55:09 PM

Exact dates, no idea. Expect it somewhere around the new year. As with all GPU's they would releasing cards in almost all segments. New launches would be a bit expensive then the prices may drop after the products settle.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:07:03 PM

Best answer selected by coldcoff33.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 4:58:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!