Cat5 wired house and the internet

donvd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,
I have a single router/modem currently plugged into a DSL line that is inturn routed to an office computer. I have a Cat5 wired house and would like to be able to access the internet from any Cat5 connector in the house. From my router/modem, do I just route to the house Cat5 network to light up all the other Cat5 access points in my house?

I guess you have one central location to which all the CAT5 cables run. All you need is a switch at that central location to plug in the CAT5 cables and connect a cable from the router to the CAT5 in your room. This will allow internet access to all locations connected to the switch.

donvd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Emerald, thanks for the feedback but I'm still confused. What is a switch? Does it matter what color cables I use? I have yellow and blue. Currently, at the central location in the basement there is a junction box with what appears to be jumpers connecting the Cat5 together by room name.

donvd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
X the cable color thing. Found out it doesn't matters because they come in all sorts of colors to help see the routing when a number of cable runs might be confusing to follow.

In the basement it appears I have switch panel that has connected all available Ethernet cables from each room in the house with a port. I think that may answer my issues. I plan to test it this weekend to see if I can do what Emerald suggested. Plug the router/modem into a Cat5 port and see if all the other ports in the house are able to access the net. Again Emerald, thanks.