Mixed Messages on Compatibility

crisis44

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello Everybody. New to the forum but have an old problem I am trying to solve regarding a build I am trying to complete. Have been told wildly varying stories from NewEgg, AMD, Microsoft and ASUS regarding why I cannot load my OS. The contention seems to be around Win7 Home Prem 64-bit not being compatible with the ASUS MB I had. After my experience with ASUS, I have decided to go another route altogether and try an MSI. Anyway, the components below are what I plan to use. Does anybody see any compatibility problems with the parts below, especially in regards to loading 64-bit Win7 Home Premium? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-MSI 890FXA-GD65 MB (AM3 with 890FX chipset)
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 RT
-Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition (any issues with 64-bit home premium and this MB/BIOS?)
-XFX VGA HD-487A-ZWFC 1GB Graphics Card
-Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Solution
What HD are you using and what SATA port is it plugged into? You should always have your primary HD plugged into the SATA-0 port and then configure your boot devices in your motherboard as 1. HD, 2. CD-ROM, 3. USB/Network.
Never had any issues with windows 7, as long as the hardrives are configured properly. I use maxblast 5.0 to prep new drives, and sometimes clone my old drive if I'm not changing the board. Always load windows 7 off the dvd and use only one hardrive at a time. You can add a second drive after installation and windows 7 will detect it and set it up as a secondary device. Any newer board designed in the last 3 years will work with windows 7; some vista boards will also work fine.