Gaming build, I think I bought a slower HD?

zavior

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Here's a build I got off the forums that I replicated, unforutnately I already hit buy via Newegg but I think I went with a slower HD with only 3GB/s instead of my motherboards supported 6GB/s. I'm thinking of getting an SSD though, would it also be worth it to return the HD and get a 6GB/s.

Any other changes or problems I might have with this build?
I'm thinking of OC'ing the CPU, it'll be my first time but I think this CPU cooler is one of the recommended ones.

Case - Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
PSU - High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified
CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HardDrive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
GPU - EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

I think that the difference between your hard drive having 3.0 vs 6.0 would be extremely small.

From what I have read the 6.0 transfer rate only matters for SSDs. I think that regular hard drives can't use much more than 3.0 anyway.

I could be wrong and feel free to look into this more, but I wouldn't return the drive if it were me.

Hyper 212 is a name that people mention a lot around here for CPU cooling.

A single hard disk drive can not saturate a 300 GB/s SATA II connection. So really I am not sure why they even have ones that support 600 GB/s, maybe more for marketing than anything. The F3 is a terrific and reliable drive, I have one. It is pretty quick as far as HDD's go. I would only look into SATAIII 600 GB/s when you are looking at SSD's.

No mechanical HD transfer can approach SATA 2 speeds (300Gbps) let alone SATA 3 speed (600 Gbps). That being said will a SATA 3 HD perform better than a SATA 2 HD .... absolutely !

Contradiction you say ? Well yes and no. Each HD has a little SSD on board called the cache and as these buggers get bigger and bigger, the disk transfers out if that cache can exceed the SATA 2 bandwidth limitation. So DTR's n and out of cache will be curtailed by the SATA 2 interface. That being said, for gaming were the HD bottleneck is mostly loading new areas, it's not like you re going to bothered much by it.

As an alternative ya might wanna consider a hybrid drive if budget restricts you from a SSD + HD such as the Momentus
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=9

zavior

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Wow I wasn't even aware of these hybrid drives! That might be pretty neat to do that. The only thing I'm worried about going with SSD/SATA HD combo is exactly how to partition it. Would I just put the OS on the SSD then everything else on the SATA? Seems like the way this hybrid works is how most people would want it. Find the most used files and put that in the SSD.

Has anyone used one of these hybrid drives before?
And what are your thoughts?