ATI/nVidia Obliterated

K_Mitnick

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
GPUs are getting enormous.
When I opened my 5870 I wondered how long it would be before I would be buying a whole seperate case just for graphics processing.

I also noticed that 1GHz was still a 'holy grail', and thought I have a 3.4GHz boat-anchor here and they're cheering bout 1,000MHz.

Why can't someone build a dongle & write a driver, so I can farm graphics out to my Pentium4?

Laugh...

Then think about it...

Thanks.

K_Mitnick

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Got it.

Well there's two 'Best Answer's.

It's been on my mind for some time, & finally got around to asking just to put it to rest.
I didn't even consider scalar/vector, assuming raw power would overcome any deficits.

Thanks fellas for the proper responses.

edit: I got similar answers (from other places) when I proposed using usb drives for ram extension, ...but they're doing that now. So thought I would ask. Thanks again.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
The reason they use USB for RAM extension is because it is better than using the HDD for virtual memory. Yea, USB is slow but it is faster than a HDD when the user is trying to also access files.

K_Mitnick

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Actually, 28nm will make 1ghz graphics clock a standard.....
and clocks itself mean nothing about performance, try getting a Core i7's CPU it self to render the same graphics as a HD5450 and u'll suddenly find the i7 a piece of crap.

Aren't they both silicon chips?