Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Boot Device error--- need help

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2011 8:22:45 PM

Hey everyone, I just completed a build the other day, booted up my pc and found everything to be in working order. I then turned off the pc and left it for 24 hours. Yesterday, I went to radioshack and picked up an svga cable as well as an hdmi. On returning home I plugged in the svga into the converter that came with the graphics card as well as the hdmi cable into the hdmi converter (also with the graphics card.) When I booted up the computer it said that there was no signal in hdmi 2 even though thats where the hdmi cable had been plugged in. Also after flashing the asus screen it gave me a message saying: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." I should also tell you that I had two usb devices plugged in for the first time, (keyboard and mouse) however, I unplugged both of them as well as the hdmi and was still getting this weird message. I have not done anything with BIOS or even touched the pc since I last booted it up. I haven't installed windows 7 or configured anything. I am also getting a red light on my mobo next to the boot device label. If anyone could help me out it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

More about : boot device error

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 8:37:29 PM

Do you have the latest BIOS version for your mobo?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 8:40:11 PM

I assume that you did not plug the SVGA cable and the HDMI into the same screen? That will cause all sorts of complications.

Make sure that the boot order is correct in your BIOS.

See if the machine will boot off the OS installation disk to see if the problem is the motherboard or confined to the HDD.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 8:42:14 PM

Did it boot before? If so, have you checked if the boot order has changed in the BIOS?
December 21, 2011 8:46:12 PM

I plugged the hdmi and svga into the same screen, yes.
December 21, 2011 8:47:53 PM

Wamphryi said:
I assume that you did not plug the SVGA cable and the HDMI into the same screen? That will cause all sorts of complications.

Make sure that the boot order is correct in your BIOS.

See if the machine will boot off the OS installation disk to see if the problem is the motherboard or confined to the HDD.

yeah i did.
December 21, 2011 9:02:30 PM

what should I do?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 10:13:17 PM

Firstly check out of the system will boot off an installation CD or DVD. I think it is possible that something is damaged in your system due to both cables being plugged in. Lets see if we can confirm that.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 10:19:00 PM

I checked into the matter and it is possible that your use of the two cables in the manner described has damaged your GPU and in your instance the PCI Express sub system on the motherboard. The SATA sub system accesses the PCI Sub system so the fact that the HDD no longer responds is a very ominous sign. I hope I am wrong for your sake Dude but it seems that physical damage has occurred.
December 21, 2011 10:30:00 PM

Wamphryi said:
I checked into the matter and it is possible that your use of the two cables in the manner described has damaged your GPU and in your instance the PCI Express sub system on the motherboard. The SATA sub system accesses the PCI Sub system so the fact that the HDD no longer responds is a very ominous sign. I hope I am wrong for your sake Dude but it seems that physical damage has occurred.

My bios still recognizes that there is an hdd and optical drive. I don't understand how something like plugging in two cables could cause so much damage. Would both the mobo and the gpu be damaged?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 10:51:22 PM

The cables actually carry power. When I try to plug an HDMI cable into a TV if it is connected to Blu Ray player for instance it can actually spark. Its not enough to shock a person but enough to damage electrical components. Plugging both cables into a single monitor is outside what the components are designed to do. I guess it is possible that two cables together cause some kind of power issue by either creating a short circuit or by causing the GPU to surge when it sends signals simultaneously to the same screen. I do know that when the cables are used like that it causes the GPU to react badly preventing it signalling to the screen. As the GPU is trying to signal the screen and is being prevented from doing so it may well cause the aforementioned power issues which in turn could have fried something essential in your system such as the PCI express sub system.
December 21, 2011 11:02:31 PM

What should I do?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 11:05:30 PM

You should check the boot order in the BIOS and make sure that the optical drive is listed before the HDD.
December 21, 2011 11:08:48 PM

GhislainG said:
You should check the boot order in the BIOS and make sure that the optical drive is listed before the HDD.

It is. When the screen somes on it flashes asus, and then tells me no hard disk is detected.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 11:29:45 PM

In your first post, you wrote "I haven't installed windows 7 or configured anything." Is Windows 7 installed on the hard disk? If not, is a bootable DVD in the optical drive? Do you see all drives in the BIOS?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 11:30:53 PM

If possible could you plug the HDD into another system to see if it will boot? It may be the HDD was damaged but I think it is more likely the motherboard. You may have to RMA the board.

You could try running the install disk to see if it detects the drive at set up. If you have another HDD try installing the OS on it. If the second drive works then the motherboard is OK more than likely.
December 21, 2011 11:33:00 PM

ITTTT WORKEDDDDDDDDD *** YES
December 21, 2011 11:44:07 PM

Wamphryi said:
If possible could you plug the HDD into another system to see if it will boot? It may be the HDD was damaged but I think it is more likely the motherboard. You may have to RMA the board.

You could try running the install disk to see if it detects the drive at set up. If you have another HDD try installing the OS on it. If the second drive works then the motherboard is OK more than likely.

I removed the cmos battery and it reset itself. Now I'm back on the american megatrends screen. Its saying press enter setup to recover bios setting... and below that it says press f1 to run setup. Which one should I choose?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2011 11:48:03 PM

F1
December 21, 2011 11:50:05 PM

GhislainG said:
F1

Ok, just did it. Now, the clock is all messed up though.. what should i do from here?
December 22, 2011 1:05:36 AM

Wamphryi said:
Firstly check out of the system will boot off an installation CD or DVD. I think it is possible that something is damaged in your system due to both cables being plugged in. Lets see if we can confirm that.

Just put in my windows disk and the system booted... So idk what's going on. What do you think?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 1:40:01 AM

Ok so the board still responds at that level. Seems to narrow it down to the South Bridge or the HDD or a total software meltdown (reasons unknown). See if the install disks set up can see your HDD. Naturally don't partition anything or start the actual install. Just see if the installer reports that it has found a drive and that its size and everything is correct.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 1:44:08 AM

Can you tell us what you've done since the beginning?

1. Was Windows 7 ever installed on the hard disk?
2. In your last reply, did the system boot from the DVD or from the hard disk?
3. Do you know how to configure the system and how to set the boot priority in the BIOS?
December 22, 2011 1:54:19 AM

Wamphryi said:
Ok so the board still responds at that level. Seems to narrow it down to the South Bridge or the HDD or a total software meltdown (reasons unknown). See if the install disks set up can see your HDD. Naturally don't partition anything or start the actual install. Just see if the installer reports that it has found a drive and that its size and everything is correct.

Yes, it recognized my hard drive and I took a chance and installed it. Now when I took the disk out the computer boots up to windows automatically and only flashes the no hard disk once, before going to the asus screen and then starting up windows.
December 22, 2011 1:58:22 AM

GhislainG said:
Can you tell us what you've done since the beginning?

1. Was Windows 7 ever installed on the hard disk?
2. In your last reply, did the system boot from the DVD or from the hard disk?
3. Do you know how to configure the system and how to set the boot priority in the BIOS?

1. I installed windows 7 on the hard disk.
2. The system booted from the hard disk after I installed windows 7. It still flashes a no hard disk detected screen but ( i just did a double take) the red boot device led is off.
3. I know how to drag and drop to organize the boot priority. I have the optical drive in position 1 and the hard drive in position 2.
December 22, 2011 2:02:53 AM

To add some detail that led device light. It still does turn on but only for a short period during start up and then it turns off.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 2:04:16 AM

Ok there we have it. The HDD not detected will be the other ports in the system which do not have drives attached. Finish your install and download updates and drivers. Install apps and you are good to go. Don't plug in the cables to the same screen again. ;-)
December 22, 2011 2:13:54 AM

Wamphryi said:
Ok there we have it. The HDD not detected will be the other ports in the system which do not have drives attached. Finish your install and download updates and drivers. Install apps and you are good to go. Don't plug in the cables to the same screen again. ;-)

haha, worst experience of my life. On a side note, I noticed I couldn't connect to my wireless internet, do I need a wireless network card for this? Thank you very much for your help by the way. I really appreciate it.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 2:21:49 AM

If your PC has a wireless connection built in or as an add on card it is probably a matter of updates / drivers and configuration. That is a whole new thread.
December 22, 2011 2:29:02 AM

Best answer selected by gavcol12.
!