Looking to build sub $400 computer with HD graphcis card

6tr6tr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys, I'm a total newb and I'm looking to either build or buy a computer that fits the following:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $300-$400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: heavy programming, watching movies, web surfing, etc

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (it's really the only one I know about)

Parts Preferences: anythimg of quality

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No idea. What's the benefits/drawbacks? (If it helps, I'm going to use Linux on this computer)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I use Linux (openSUSE) and will NOT use Windows on this computer. I've never built a computer before (I've only added graphics cards, network cards, RAM) and am not sure I'm capable of that, so let me know your thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks!

I think that your budget is too low for a reasonable solution. Why don't you look at Tom's' (I never know how to punctuate the possessive) low-end build from the System Builder Marathon: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html as a start, and work backwards from there? You can probably skimp on the video card if you will be living in 2D, including HD video. It's the "heavy programming" requirement that worries me; skimping on the CPU might not be possible for you.