Day Trading and Analysis Computer Setup

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello guys and gals,

I'm looking for some help on building a complete trading setup from scratch. Basically, I will be building a home server where I will run to collect historical data and running my main trading platform. At the same time I will build a computer where I can analyse trading systems, do extensive backtesting and optimisation as well some heavier calculations. This computer will need to be able to support 6 monitors.

The computer will most likely be using an i7 2700K Sandy Ridge CPU. Other requirements include:
- 6 monitor support
- 16GB RAM or more
- SSD just for the OS
- About 1TB hard drive

The home server will most likely be using an Xeon CPU (not sure yet), other requirements will be:
- 8GB RAM
- 3-5TB hard drive

Some other things I'd like to mention is that the aside from the 1.0TB hard drive, I will be using attaching about 2TB of external memory to the computer. Also I don't exactly want another monitor for the server, is it possible to connect one of the computer monitors to the server as well and be able to switch back and forth between the two machines?

Both the server and computer should be connected (not through WiFi) so I am able to trasnfer data between the machines. Also, both machines, and all monitors will be hooked up to an emergency power supply for safety reasons. Not sure if that's a concern but might as well play it safe and list everything.

Also my budget for everything is preferably under $4000.00USD. with a maximum ceiling of $6000.00USD

Any help/advice would be great, or even complete builds!

Thanks again,
Clark

Solution
Also my budget for everything is preferably under $4000.00USD. with a maximum ceiling of $6000.00USD

The build itself will come out to $2507 with everything. You might want to raise that a bit if you plan to include a server as server hardware is way more expensive, especially the HDs will cost you right now with the prices the way they are.

Some other things I'd like to mention is that the aside from the 1.0TB hard drive, I will be using attaching about 2TB of external memory to the computer. Also I don't exactly want another monitor for the server, is it possible to connect one of the computer monitors to the server as well and be able to switch back and forth between the two machines?

If you get a monitor that has...

g-unit1111

Titan

The build itself will come out to $2507 with everything. You might want to raise that a bit if you plan to include a server as server hardware is way more expensive, especially the HDs will cost you right now with the prices the way they are.

If you get a monitor that has multiple inputs (Acers are great for this) you can have one input hooked up to the server and the other hooked up to the PC no problems.

Both the server and computer should be connected (not through WiFi) so I am able to trasnfer data between the machines. Also, both machines, and all monitors will be hooked up to an emergency power supply for safety reasons. Not sure if that's a concern but might as well play it safe and list everything.

Absolutely - on a business machine you want zero downtime. And you certainly don't want to spend any of your overhead on maintenance for your computers if you can help it at all.

The home server will most likely be using an Xeon CPU (not sure yet), other requirements will be:
- 8GB RAM
- 3-5TB hard drive

So I have a couple of questions about the server you plan to run.

1. Do you already have the Windows server software? A license of that will run you some $700. I suggest purchasing this separately if you haven't already.

2. Do you plan to run the server in a 2 - 4U environment or were you planning on having that be an always on PC stored in a cabinet? 4U cases are always going to be a bit more expensive but if you get a rack setup you can have 1 4U set devoted to your build, and one 4U set devoted to your server, with 1 - 2U for your routers, switches, and backup PSUs.

What I'm thinking for this build is that you have 3 racks setup. You have one rack devoted to your server, router and switches (and your build if you house it in a 4U case). You have the second rack devoted to two 21.5" monitors mounted accordingly, you have the third and fourth racks mounted the same.

Then you have a tray setup for your keyboard and mouse, and any applicable monitor switches you may need. That would be it.

Setting up a connected non-wifi network is a bit beyond my area of expertise. You'll essentially need CAT 9 data cables and connectors, and you'll have to route them through your walls in order to get that set up. As far as getting the PCs to talk to each other is something completely different altogether.

In any event this is what I'd recommend for the build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: Seasonic X750 Gold - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus P8B WS - $219.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2125 - $149.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $33.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $77.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $109.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - $149.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 - $279.99 each ($559.98 total)
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK260 - $36.99
Monitor: 6 x Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED - $129.99 each ($779.64 total)

Total: $2507.81

Solution

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Awesome! That's great. My budget is really anything under ~$10K hardware wise, but if I can save more that'd be always a plus. Thanks again, I really appreciate it and I'll take a closer look at the build.

Clark