Overclocking my 6970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

apamilo

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Been playing around with AMD overdrive and was getting some nice results on furmark but temps are getting pretty high (although it is a hot night here) I just wanted to show you guys these results which I got for my final test and see if they seem alright or abit unstable.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/landy1337/benchmarks.jpg

As you can see at 960mhz @ 1445 memory I hit 77 degrees at full load on furmark which sounds pretty high to me. What I wonder is gaming anywhere near as gpu intensive as these benchmark programs? will I be hitting high temps like this in games such as bf3? Just thought I would post it here for your opinions on this.

Solution
I see that in GPU-Z it's showing your 2nd card running at x4.That could slow you down in GPU intensive games such as BF3.

It's also showing different default clock speeds per card.That leads me to believe your using 2 different ones.

As for your temps they seem very normal,even with a O.C.I would say it's safe to O.C. more if you wanted.The max temp for the 6970 is around the 100c area but I would start to cut it off if you start reaching 90c.

From what I've been reading it seems that the 6970 isn't that great of an O.C.er and everyone seems to be topping out at around 950mhz.Even the MSI Lightening wasn't able to get over 975mhz on the core.So even though you have more O.C.ing headroom heat wise your probably reaching the max that...
I see that in GPU-Z it's showing your 2nd card running at x4.That could slow you down in GPU intensive games such as BF3.

It's also showing different default clock speeds per card.That leads me to believe your using 2 different ones.

As for your temps they seem very normal,even with a O.C.I would say it's safe to O.C. more if you wanted.The max temp for the 6970 is around the 100c area but I would start to cut it off if you start reaching 90c.

From what I've been reading it seems that the 6970 isn't that great of an O.C.er and everyone seems to be topping out at around 950mhz.Even the MSI Lightening wasn't able to get over 975mhz on the core.So even though you have more O.C.ing headroom heat wise your probably reaching the max that chip can handle.

Which 6970's are you using?

What motherboard are you using?

Solution

apamilo

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply mate. You are right about the 4x slot my second card is in and the fact that they are both different brands of 6970. I plan to get a new motherboard eventually so i can run both at 16x. I will try to push it past 975mhz tomorrow and see how i go with that. I am pretty new to ocing video cards and this guide i am using makes no comment on the memory clock. I have so far been increasing it in 10mhz increments like the core clock but i am not sure if there is a proper core to memory ratio rule. Abit confused about that one...maybe you know what memory clocks people could achieve on these cards. Once again thanks for the reply.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Lol, don't get a new motherboard. Nobody has used the full potential of pci 2.0. In certain benchies x8 x8 did better than x16 x16.
Here's a link to a video which i think would help you : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSfifE2Domo
It shows in this video that you only lose a 5% performance in x4 mode, even for higher end cards such as the 6990. Mind you a 5% performance decrease is like a fps and a half........ Not noticeable to the human eye. The only worry i would have with that is if you had micro stutter, which you don't.

apamilo

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thanks for all the good replies guys very helpful. I play at higher resolutions than furmark benchmarks aswel. I know they are good cards but i was just playing around and seeing what kind of results i could get out of them.

apamilo

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

I tried 975 and 1450 and had success in furmark but bf bad company 2 kept crashing so i am just going to keep them at a stable 960/1450. I did answer your question a few posts up.

apamilo

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Vtx is powercolor.. Basically their ati only cards that they started making in 2009. Really nice card that has a nice factory overclock and is really cheap/quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.