Sign in with
Your question

Windows Seizures NEED HELP!

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2011 10:09:51 PM

Hey guys, I'm in serious need of some help. I'm new to the PC gaming world and although most of my first experiences within it have been awesome, I've found some serious problems. Currently we're running:

i5 2500K@4.5GHz CPU with a Corsair A70 Cooler
8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM
VTX3D HD6950 2GB GPY
Asus P8Z68-LE Motherboard
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
600W Corsair UltraQuiet PSU
Fractal Design Define R3 Case

Obviously this whole thing was not cheap by anyones standards and to be honest I expected it to be completely up to standard in every way. So far, in many ways its been awesome, with Just Cause 2 running like a dream and the whole OS booting in about 20 seconds, but there have been quite a few little niggles. Firstly, Windows and some programmes keep seizing up, A LOT.

Every time the computer is on, at some point, the whole thing will freeze up and I'll be able to move the mouse, but nothing will be operable from anywhere between 1 minute and forever (meaning I have had to reset at the power button a few times, which I never like doing), even more disastrously, this actually happened during first setup, which lead to the whole setup being done twice, but with memory of the origionally created user. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Any help would be immensely appreciated,
James

More about : windows seizures

December 21, 2011 10:12:15 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Systems by Area51reopened
m
l
December 21, 2011 10:37:05 PM

Quote:
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD

What firmware are you using with this drive? It'd be a good idea to flash the firmware and then see what happens. I ran into a similar problem with my Intel 320 - Windows wouldn't fully start up and then crashed and BSOD'd on me repeatedly, then I upgraded the firmware and it worked fine. You'll need a USB flash drive or blank CD in order to do this.

After flashing your firmware, if you can get into Windows, try running a BIOS update after that and then see what happens, it should be good after that.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2011 10:44:07 PM

g-unit1111 said:

What firmware are you using with this drive? It'd be a good idea to flash the firmware and then see what happens. I ran into a similar problem with my Intel 320 - Windows wouldn't fully start up and then crashed and BSOD'd on me repeatedly, then I upgraded the firmware and it worked fine. You'll need a USB flash drive or blank CD in order to do this.

After flashing your firmware, if you can get into Windows, try running a BIOS update after that and then see what happens, it should be good after that.

Hate to be a noob... but how do I find out what firmware this is running? This was actually built by a company... so I don't know why this was moved to this section but still. Where do I look?
m
l
December 21, 2011 10:50:25 PM

JamesWhite95 said:
Hate to be a noob... but how do I find out what firmware this is running? This was actually built by a company... so I don't know why this was moved to this section but still. Where do I look?

This is what I got from a quick search of Corsair's support forum:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97417
m
l
December 22, 2011 2:45:13 PM

JamesWhite95 said:
Just ran the Memory Diagnostic, there's nothing wrong with it. :( 

If it's not memory it has to be the SSD - try pulling out your SSD, and running just the HD with the Windows Install disc in your optical drive and see what happens.
m
l
!