Sign in with
Your question

PSU and GPU help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2011 4:15:30 PM

Hey guys. I've been researching for a while and I'm getting to the point where I may be upgrading my GPU and or PSU.

SUMMARY: <<<Just want to play BF3 @ 1680 x 1050 NEED GPU, PSU may not power well enough>>>>>

My hardware:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A reviewer claims: "It has FOUR 12V rails that run steady at 18 amps each!! The 3.3V rail runs at 36 amps and the 5V at 30 amps!" But I'm not sure of those amps.

I have 8 GB of these Ripjaws:

i7 860 CPU:

This motherboard:

Currently I have this GTX 260 216:

Like 4 sata HD's, some fans, dvd drive...

I used duel monitors, 22" but only game on 1, resolution of both is 1680 x 1050.

The GTX 260 I paid around $140 or something after rebate 4/28/2009. I've been trying to get deals on cards since I paid full price (~400 after rebate?) for a 7900 GTX back in the day lol.

I'm going to be playing BF3 and I hate FPS games that spike in gun fights or in combat anywhere. The 260 seemed to do that a bit ofc. Can't max it out for sure. I'm interested in GTX 560 ti or a 570 (but hate how they seem to blow up and aren't reliable), and I reallllly don't want to spend ~450 again on a 580.

I really don't want an ATI... Convert me if you must. This would probably solve my problem with the 570 though if I'd get the 6970, or 6950 and unlock it, but I don't know which to buy or where to find the how-to to unlock the 6950.

So with my PSU, which can I get without upgrading and which would I have to upgrade to get (mainly because of the rails and amps I'm pretty sure I'd have to upgrade to for a 580).

My 260 handles everything else just fine, except for BF3. So if a 560 ti will solve this WELL then I really would love to spend the less money.

I also don't want to get a 580 if the new kepler series comes out soon.

Any charts, graphs, benchmarks, advice, help, links, or criticism is appreciated!

More about : psu gpu

October 24, 2011 4:25:39 PM

Even a 460 will solve your problem. but go for the 560Ti or 570. the PSU is just fine for the 560ti and 570
October 24, 2011 4:41:51 PM

Seconded, your psu should be fine. Going ati wouldn't be a bad idea if you are open to it. The 6970 is a pretty solid card and I have not heard first hand (the only stories I really take into account) any issues with them. I love my his iceq 6970. If you can stand how ugly it is and have space in your case, I highly recommend.
Related resources
October 24, 2011 4:58:48 PM

markula said:
Seconded, your psu should be fine. Going ati wouldn't be a bad idea if you are open to it. The 6970 is a pretty solid card and I have not heard first hand (the only stories I really take into account) any issues with them. I love my his iceq 6970. If you can stand how ugly it is and have space in your case, I highly recommend.

Well, space is up to the case and motherboard, so my case is this:

Yeah I am skipping the 460, I have the $$$ for the 500 series.

I really know very little about the AMD ATI 6000 series...
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:03:16 PM

Get a GTX 560 Ti and overclock it. Anything more isn't worth it at your resolution. Your PSU is fine.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:09:08 PM

Agreed, the gtx 560ti would be as good option. My only problem with that is the new cards are coming out in a month. So i would wait!
October 24, 2011 5:11:52 PM

jyjjy said:
Get a GTX 560 Ti and overclock it. Anything more isn't worth it at your resolution. Your PSU is fine.

Alright, that's what I'm leaning towards. Now I know all manufacturers cards aren't the same. Are there any particular manufacturer and card versions that I should aim for or stay away from?

Djentleman is it for sure a month lol? Hmmm
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:13:48 PM

Djentleman said:
Agreed, the gtx 560ti would be as good option. My only problem with that is the new cards are coming out in a month. So i would wait!

The rumor is a month and half(Dec 6th) and it's certainly not definite that it's true. Even if so there is no guarantee that they will offer better value for the money, especially when first launched.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:19:25 PM

I would get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's versions with better cooling but that one isn't bad at all and the price and free game make it the best choice for the money IMO. If you aren't interested in the game I'm sure it will sell for a decent price on Ebay making it even cheaper.
October 24, 2011 5:37:15 PM

jyjjy said:
I would get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's versions with better cooling but that one isn't bad at all and the price and free game make it the best choice for the money IMO. If you aren't interested in the game I'm sure it will sell for a decent price on Ebay making it even cheaper.

After reading its reviews it seems to have amazing cooling, 60 c ay
60% fan is really good imo. Which versions have better cooling BTW?
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:48:07 PM

The MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DirectCU cards are generally regarded as the best cooling around.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 5:51:46 PM

Any non reference design card has better cooling, runs with less noise.
Like said above the GTX 560Ti is very good at your resolution.
OCZ StealthXtream & ModXtream have creepy reviews when going SLI/CF... but you're fine with a single card.

I would recommend the Gigabyte above or the MSI Twin Frozer II
Most of purchases goes to the TWIN Frozer...the Asus Direct CU II is pretty awesome specially when OCed, but it takes 3 slots which makes a big problem
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 6:11:57 PM

You should be fine with either as you can OC the card to those clocks with eyes closed.
October 24, 2011 6:50:51 PM

Ok. Either way, does MSI cover the cards at all? Or after the seller's RMA period is over you're on your own?
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:07:00 PM

Don't know too much about warranty as it differs from country to another. But no company cover any card damaged by OCing or a flashed BIOS.
But for sure if the card has a problem during the period of warranty, you RMA it
October 24, 2011 7:19:23 PM

Well, I'm basically wondering because there seems to be a high failure rate with the MSI...
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:39:52 PM

with the MSI Twin Frozer II ? i doubt... as i said most of the purchases here goes for it
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:59:20 PM

There's no real difference between the OCed Twin Frozr and the non-OC model. In this case though the OCed card is actually cheaper because of the free shipping even before accounting for the $20 mail-in rebate so there's no reason not to get it instead. Either should be able to go much higher when you OC on your own. Both cards have a 3 year warranty on parts, two year labor.
I'd still probably just go for the Gigabyte card. It does have good cooling as well. The MSI is a bit better but the Gigabyte is a much better value for the money. The $20 price difference + a game you could Ebay for at least $30 makes it effectively $50 cheaper.

@ilysaml - The DirectCU GTX 560 Ti is only dual slot. It is the GTX 570/580 that are triple slot.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:05:14 PM

So my apology for the misleading with the Direct CU II GTX 560, and i still recommend the Twin Frozer
October 24, 2011 8:08:19 PM

buy a HD 6870 and you'll be the happiest guy ever.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:26:53 PM

The HD6870 is a performance level below the GTX 560 Ti at reference speeds. With the stock clocks already at 900mhz on that card it also doesn't really have much overclocking headroom in general.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 9:32:38 PM

Whichever way you go on the Vid card you can accurately determine if your current PSU has the proper wattage and 12v rail amps. and is a quality PSU that can meet the power needs of your current or future PC build, from the link below. No guessing or speculation is required. If your current PSU won't cut it then you can find a PSU that will have enough power and be reliable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
October 24, 2011 10:06:31 PM

Thanks all for your help so far!

If you sort the reviews on the MSI OC on newegg by ownership length it seems that many cards have died after 2-4 months. But most people come back to say their card failed, but not to say their card is doing great...

I almost like the Hawk version for 245 + shipping at mwave, but then I.might as well get a 570 for 300 after rebate... Hmm

If I get the gigabyte and manually OC it it wouldn't be covered if it died then correct?
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:18:41 PM

I'm not sure if the Gigabyte warranty covers overclocking but it doesn't matter much. You overclock in Windows through software. There is no way for them to know if you have OCed your card other than if you purposely tell them.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:21:06 PM

beenthere said:
Whichever way you go on the Vid card you can accurately determine if your current PSU has the proper wattage and 12v rail amps.

His PSU is from one of the better brands and has 580w available on the +12v rails. There is nothing questionable about whether it can run a GTX 560 Ti unless it is faulty.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:22:48 PM

He's posting this on every thread he joins...that's normal..LOL
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:43:53 PM

jyjjy said:
His PSU is from one of the better brands and has 580w available on the +12v rails. There is nothing questionable about whether it can run a GTX 560 Ti unless it is faulty.

YOU may know this but without the OP learning how to check these things out he is dependent on sometimes conflicting opinions. The link I gave allows the OP and anyone else interested to actually LEARN how to determine what power their Vid card draws, what power their PC needs and how many amps. are required on the 12v rails plus a safety factor so the PSU is not running at 100% under max load.

These are all important points that need to be addressed when deciding if a person's current or future PSU is adequate. By following the link I post the OP and others can LEARN how to objectively determine this information, easily and reliably so they know what is proper for their current or future builds. No guessing, no speculation or conflicting opinions to deal with. I provide the TOOLS for people to LEARN to help themselves.

BTW a PSU from "one of the better brands" means nothing. You need to read objective test reviews for the exact model PSU as there are good and not so good PSUs in the popular brands that some folks assume are all good.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. YOU SHOULD NEVER STOP LEARNING.

It's better to teach someone how to fish than to give them a fish for dinner. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:50:29 PM

ilysaml said:
He's posting this on every thread he joins...that's normal..LOL

I post the link because it's important for people to LEARN how to properly determine the PSU parameters objectively and not be dependent on often conflicting opinions.

Learning can be fun and very useful. ;) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:50:51 PM

And if he had posted a thread asking "how can I learn to objectively determine whether my current or future PSU is adequate?" then your post would have been spot on. There are probably dozens of other informative articles that would help people learn all about computer hardware. That doesn't mean it is appropriate to spam them in random threads. You should really stop.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:53:05 PM

jyjjy said:
And if he had posted a thread asking "how can I learn to objectively determine whether my current or future PSU is adequate?" then your post would have been spot on. There are probably dozens of other informative articles that would help people learn all about computer hardware. That doesn't mean it is appropriate to spam them in random threads. You should really stop.

Helping people is not SPAMMING. No one is being forced to use the tools. I don't see the OP complaining about the information I presented. If it bothers you, I suggest you skip over my posts. ;) 

There is nothing constructive in your critique of my attempt to help people learn. It's your subjective opinion which you are entitled to, so let's move on as I will continue to help people with my posts.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:54:29 PM

beenthere said:
I post the link because it's important for people to LEARN how to properly determine the PSU parameters objectively and not be dependent on often conflicting opinions.

Learning can be fun and very useful. ;) 

I don't make a fun of you, i just get used to see you posting the same on each thread, you could link it on your public profile and give your recommendations directly.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 10:57:28 PM

ilysaml said:
I don't make a fun of you, i just get used to see you posting the same on each thread, you could link it on your public profile and give your recommendations directly.

I didn't take your comment as "making fun". Unfortunately few people actually read signatures... You have to grab their attention by explaining how there life will improve by following the link. ;) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 11:00:46 PM

Spamming is spamming whether you think the info is useful or not. There are other people who spam the "best video card for the money" article as well whether or not the OPs question had already been answered in much more detail than in present in that article or not, just as is the case here.
Furthermore the way you presented the article called into question whether or not the (accurate) advice already given by myself or others was actually true. Please stop.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 11:43:12 PM

You need to look up the definition of SPAMMING. ;) 

I'm NOT going to stop posting useful info. because of your POV on my posts any more than I would tell you to stop posting your advice to the OP's question. This is a community where most people try to help people in their own way. My way is to help people learn to help themselves. The same basic PSU question is asked ~ 20 times per day even though the forum STICKIES provide plenty of assistance if people would actually read them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284314-28-power-suppl...

My posts are a means to nudge or encourage people to learn and have fun doing it as it relates to their specific question. I use to do all the calcs for people and post them up but I have concluded it's better to teach people how to do this themselves, so now I give them the TOOLS and if they want to use them, great. If they want to ignore them and depend on subjective opinions, that's just fine too. It matters not to me which they chose.

No one called into question your advice but as you will see in many of these threads people's opinions vary and that is confusing to the OP who asked the question. That is PRECISELY why I offer them the TOOLS to objectively determine what they need for their PC. They can completely ignore my post or they can use it however suits them - just as they can ignore your advice or anyone else's who posts.

As I said if my posts bother you, skip over them. There is nothing inappropriate with my posts at all and some might say they provide more benefit than differing advice from well meaning people.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 12:05:49 AM

There is something inappropriate in your posts though. We had already told him his PSU was fine. Several things you said when linking the article make it seem like it is still in question. It's not a big deal but at the very least read through the threads you are spamming and tailor what you say appropriately.
When you say:
"No guessing or speculation is required. If your current PSU won't cut it..."
It suggests that he either needs to guess/speculate or read your article and that his PSU still may not be sufficient when he has already been told otherwise by people who do know what they are talking about. If your post had been the first in thread then fine, whatever, but saying what you did when you did could certainly be confusing the issue. It certainly made me think you were suggesting that his PSU was questionable which is why I responded the way I did initially. Personally I think having it as a sticky in the PSU forum is exactly where it belongs. If people want to learn the information it is easy for them to find if they seek it out. If you insist on spamming it in the video card forum at the very least modify how you are presenting your link to be more appropriate in the context of the individual threads so as to not cause confusion.
October 25, 2011 12:52:25 AM

I feel his link was fine to post as I had stated " Any charts, graphs, benchmarks, advice, help, links, or criticism is appreciated!" Though it did make me re read his post to figure out if he was disagreeing with you guys or not, but I understood it as a learning post. I will say however that had he said "if you'd like to learn how to check your PSU in the future go here" I would have understood it better without questioning the previous opinions. I like learning this stuff anyway. Others just want answers, so i see both sides. I haven't read his other posts so I can't speak for those threads...

This is probably the most help I've ever received on a forum. Many times people like to say "google it" or "use the search!" I admit I didn't read the PSU area but my concerns were with BF3, GPU, and less importantly, PSU. The PSU part was more of a "While I'm posting maybe I'll ask and see if someone could ease my mind on this", but i should have read the PSU section.

Anyway, I hadn't thought about it being software side and undetectable (the OC)! That eases my.mind a bit. I'll look up comparisons on the gigabyte vs msi before I pick up my pre order, as soon as I'm out of.work lol.

Any thoughts on the Hawk vs 570?
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:03:00 AM

No Spamming on my part - sorry. I will continue to post useful info. as there is NOTHING inappropriate in what I post. You may believe there to be, but there is not.

You're not going to change my perspective so we can move on. You help people with your advice and I'll help those who want to learn how to objectively determine what PSU power they need. Everyone wins. ;) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:07:12 AM

The GTX 570 is in a performance(and price) class above the GTX 560 Ti. It is a better card but at 1680x1050 it's really not necessary IMO.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:10:48 AM

beenthere said:
No Spamming on my part - sorry. I will continue to post useful info. as there is NOTHING inappropriate in what I post. You may believe there to be, but there is not.

You're not going to change my perspective so we can move on. You help people with your advice and I'll help those who want to learn how to objectively determine what PSU power they need. Everyone wins. ;) 

Even the OP said you confused him a bit and suggests you change your approach. Sticking to your perspective that "NOTHING" you said was inappropriate despite that is just being blatantly stubborn. But then again you freely announce that nothing could possibly change your perspective so I guess you are proud of your stubborness and I'm just wasting my time responding. Nice attitude.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:23:46 AM

You're the one with the atitude who stared the inappropriate critique and baseless Spamming accusations. I was not displaying an attitude I was stating a fact that I don't share your POV and that I don't intend to base my posts on your beliefs of what is acceptable and what is not. My posts meet all the TOS of the forum and as noted by reflex135 is appreciated by some folks, even if not valued by you.

I offered an objective means to accurately determine the power requirements, instead of a subjective comment like your's with no calculations to support your statement.

I'm going to continue to help those folks who want help so you might as well move on as I asked you. You're not going to convice me that your subjective opinion is better than an objective simple calculation that eliminates all emotion and subjective perspective. I'm helping people learn to help themselves. You may be answering their question but they aren't learning much and that's a pity.

I know you feel slighted but it's time to move on as nothing is going to change by you continuing to try and change my perspective.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 1:45:03 AM

You are pasting the same thing in multiple threads regardless of their content. That's basically the definition of spamming and there is nothing baseless about calling it that. The language is not your plaything just because you don't like that what your doing can appropriately be characterized as something with a negative connotation when you don't want to think of it that way
Your motivation seems admirable but your methods and attitude certainly are not. Ignoring me is one thing but when even the OP says what you are doing is somewhat confusing and suggest you should change your approach and you simply ignore both of us then tell me my "critique" is the thing that was inappropriate... It makes me wonder if this isn't just some ego thing for you rather than a genuine desire to be helpful.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 2:03:14 AM

No one is ignoring you though you are pushing your luck... Apparently you have a reading comprehension issue. I do NOT agree with your beliefs and I will continue to help those folks that I can with my post. I am pasting a link so that people who want to know what PSU they need or if the PSU they have will work - can OBJECTIVELY determine the answer.

As I've explained to your already, you will find differing opinions stated in many threads and this is confusing to the OP. As I already suggested, you help them with your advice and I'll help them with my objective technical system to calculate the power requirements for their PC. That way they get both perspectives. They can decide what works for them. It doesn't need to be one or the other. Offering an objective, scientific method to determine power requirements is anything but spamming.

My posting comments to direct people to the forum Utilities is no more spamming then you telling people your subjective opinion on what PSU they should use. The ego is you being upset that someone does not share your POV or subjective opinion on PSU requirements and instead prefers to show people the proper, simple process to objectively calculate their PC requirements. I prefer to help people LEARN. You prefer to tell people you subjective opinion without even posting the calculations so they can learn - as I did before I posted the info. in the Utilities section.

Continuing to promote your POV is not going to change reality. I've offered you an olive branch and I suggest you take it and move on. Most people would have been less than polite about your baseless spamming accusations. If I can find a better means to articulate the advantages of using the simple PSU calculation technique posted in the Utilities section them I will implement it.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 2:21:08 AM

I see you subscribe to the rubber/glue school of argument so popular with children. Classy.
I just find this funny now honestly. You act like you are doing everyone this great favor and you are being so helpful but cannot bear or acknowledge any criticism, constructive or otherwise, from other posters or even those asking the questions. This all isn't a big deal but you make it into one by being impressively stubborn, dismissive and self-righteous. I don't have a problem with reading comprehension I just find you interestingly odd and I'm bored. Continuing after this post would just be trolling you I guess as you are admittedly unable/willing to see any perspective but your own. So yeah, good luck. I hope you don't confuse others with your well intentioned spamming.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 2:38:11 AM

Sorry but you've crossed the line now with personal insults and inappropriate comments. I will not respond any further to your tripe since you have illustrated an inability to act like a muture adult and keep the discussion impersonal.
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2011 3:05:34 AM

Lets not get personal, that goes for everyone.
October 26, 2011 12:59:18 AM

I found the Hawk version for $225 after shipping and a rebate, so I went ahead with that. I like EVGA's step-up program and could have used it for kepler, but honestly I don't think I'll really need it. By the time I do I'll probably be redoing my whole system. The reliability and cooling on the Hawk seem better.
November 1, 2011 11:00:34 AM

Received it and it runs very well. Though some graphical errors happened on BF3, Caspian Border, Ultra Settings, half way through the map, an hour into game play. Didn't happen on previous maps... Take a look...

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8429/oddj.png
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9030/odd2.png

Any idea what this means?

EDIT:

This happened today:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4773/odd3.png

Turned settings down to HIGH:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/359/highsettingsinst...
!