LED colors and fonts

tahirbashir80

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I just purchased 20" Samsung SA300 LED monitor and using it on HP dc5100. I am using VGA cable, fonts are a bit blurry, colors are not sharp. Green is Sea green. Do I need to install any graphic card? Kindly guide.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Did you try adjusting the monitor settings? Factory settings are almost always off since if they did anything they are set for the display floor.

Did you make sure that the computer output is set to the recommended monitor resolution (1600x900 if I got the right monitor)?

If your computer supports DVI or HDMI I'd switch to that and you should get a slightly crisper image.

tahirbashir80

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks for the post. Yes I did set it to factory settings/ Auto Adjustment.
Monitor resolution is also 1600x900.

I've got only VGA output available in my desktop PC. There is DVI IN in my monitor. How to manipulate?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
This is one of the reasons I never really suggest monitors and always suggest going into the store and looking at a bunch. It may be that you have a bad (broken) monitor, it could just be the VGA cable, or it could (but unlikely since it is samsung) just be a poor quality monitor. I've you've seen the monitor in a store or at another person's house, then you'd at least eliminate one of the three options.

Anyways, factory settings are a decent place to start adjusting the monitor, but you should always expect to adjust the settings when you first use it in your environment. If you mess with the display settings you should be able to easily fix the green color issue, and may be able to make the image a little sharper.

Also, if your PC uses NVidia or ATI/AMD integrated graphics and you installed the drivers you can tweak the color and sharpness settings on your PC. Typically those settings can either be found on the control panel or by going to the advanced settings when adjusting the monitor resolution.

If you've tweaked both the monitor and the PC and still can't get it how you want, then it might be worth buying a cheap graphics card like the HD5450 which can be had for as little as $15 after rebate - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121444