Shuts down after 1 second during startup

beakerlene

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
My home-built computer that I use for media recently stopped working. Most of the primary components are approximately seven years old (specs below). The computer had been operating fine. However, I noticed after I shut it down on Friday, I was unable to power it back on. When I press the power switch, the fan spins for a second and then stops.

I have tried the following:

1) 2 known working PSU
2) Bench testing with just the PSU, mobo, CPU, fan, PC speaker
3) Using another CPU fan
4) Clearing the CMOS with a jumper and removing and replacing the CMOS battery
5) Clearing the dust away with air
6) Inspecting the CPU and socket for physical damage or burn marks. There is none
7) Searching forums for related thread

All test have the same result. When I use the jumper on the mobo power switch, the CPU fan will spin for about 1 second, and then stop. I don't hear any beeps from the PC speaker.

From this, I can only conclude that my mobo and/or CPU are damaged. However, I want to ensure I exhaust all options before looking into replacement components.

I greatly appreciate any recommendations you can provide!

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 / AMD Athlon 64 3000 / SuperTalent PC3200 1G (512MB x 2) / eVGA GeForce 6600 256MB / Ahanix MCE601 Case / Seagate SATA (200GB, 300GB) / Windows 7

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Sounds like a bad motherboard, check for leaking or bulging capacitors, those can be replaced if your good with a soldering iron, otherwise it would be time for a different mother board, maybe you could find a GA-K8N Ultra-9 on ebay.

beakerlene

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Thank you for your reply. I have posted some pictures of my motherboard. There are four capacitors that have slight discharge at the top. I have been spotting checking with a DMM, but I'm not entirely sure what would indicate a bad capacitors. None of the 1000 microF capacitors provide an close reading. Some are reading at 2017 microF. A few read 0L. Another reads 3100 microF.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davinoneill/sets/72157632677876817/

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Sorry to say but your motherboard has bad capacitors, if you know somone who has recapped a motherboard that would be the person to do the job, it is fairly easy to do if you have the proper equipment, but it takes some time, plus you have to have the right value of capacitors, voltage, microfarad, and size, I purchased all my Rubycon caps. from badcaps.net, I always purchased extra of each size I needed just in case of a screwup. I"ve done about six different boards and they all worked fine afterwards. You could send it in to badcaps.net but the price to recap the board is around $70.00 USD. You might find a local electronics shop that would do it for less.