Sign in with
Your question

Help with first AMD Build

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2011 9:51:56 PM

Hi I'm new to building computers and I'm about to receive some parts from my friend to build a new computer.
Here's the parts:
GPU- HD 5850
CPU- AMD 965
Intel 80gb SSD
G.Skill 4GB Ram

I'm thinking about buying these parts:
Case- CM 690ii advanced
PSU- need help with this, is a 650w psu gonna be ok?
Motherboard- Biostar 990fx ($110)

What else would I need to complete this build? (besides monitor,mouse,keyboard)

More about : amd build

December 21, 2011 10:19:08 PM

- Some kind of Hard Drive... around 1TB in size to install apps and games on (use the SSD for Windows).

- Some sort of Optical Drive just to install some software/games that are on CDs/DVDs.

The PSU ought to be fine at 650W but you might want to be careful on the brand. I would recommend Corsair, PC Power&Cooling/OCZ or something from Antec that is a little more highend.
m
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
December 21, 2011 10:23:32 PM

cheeseburger said:
Hi I'm new to building computers and I'm about to receive some parts from my friend to build a new computer.
Here's the parts:
GPU- HD 5850
CPU- AMD 965
Intel 80gb SSD
G.Skill 4GB Ram

I'm thinking about buying these parts:
Case- CM 690ii advanced
PSU- need help with this, is a 650w psu gonna be ok?
Motherboard- Biostar 990fx ($110)

What else would I need to complete this build? (besides monitor,mouse,keyboard)

I would get a bigger SSD. An 80 gig SSD really is nothing and will get filled up so fast. If your doing just a boot drive i would do at least a 128 gig SSD. If your going to be using the SSD for more than just a boot drive I would go even bigger or use a standard HDD with an SSD boot drive. The SSD will hold all vital OS information and the standard HDD will hold all other info.
As for the PSU the 650 watt should be fine as long as you get a good quality PSU. I would look at Seasonic or Corsair and get a PSU that is at least 80+ bronze certified, although if you can I would go with 80+ gold certified. If your using this computer for gaming look at mechanical gaming keyboards and a gaming mouse.
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:22:16 PM

is the biostar motherboard ok? My friend is selling it to me really cheap since he bought two as a bundle
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:27:39 PM

I have a fear of Biostar...
m
l
a b À AMD
December 21, 2011 11:31:02 PM

I'm not really a fan of Biostar. IMO they're kind of cheap. I feel Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are better.
m
l
December 21, 2011 11:36:53 PM

But if the OP is getting it for free, that's ok, I guess. If it works without grief just keep it. If not don't expect much. It's Biostar after all.

Cheap is cheap for a reason.
m
l
a b À AMD
December 22, 2011 1:02:39 AM

You can take it but just know its really not that great of a motherboard and don't expect it to blow away everything better quality motherboards.
m
l
a b À AMD
December 22, 2011 1:04:34 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!