Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How long do video cards normally last?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2011 6:16:14 PM

Hi,
I am a bit paranoid atm, I just lost my job so I need to save money, but anyways I have had a ati radeon 5870 1gb for almost 2 years and hasn't had a problem. It's gotten a little louder over the time, but no performance problems... anyways I was wondering how long these kind of cards last? I don't want it to die on me (especially since bf3 is around the corner) and me have to buy another with the little money I have now.

Thanks

More about : long video cards

a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 6:26:57 PM

They can last a long time, if never oc'd and stuff.
Just make sure it stays in good working order by making the cooler dustfree once in a while so it won't have a heating problem.
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 6:27:05 PM

You've had the 5870 for 2 years? You probably paid a fortune for it back when you first got it.

If it's getting louder that probably means you need to clean the dust out of it or replace the thermal paste.But it's most likely just dust.

It can last anywhere from 2 years to 10 years.It depends on the usage and if the card is overclocked or not.If you use it everyday or every other day it will probably last you about 3 years maybe more.The first thing to fail on the GPU is usually the fan but it can be replaced rather easily.

What PSU do you have?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 6:39:02 PM

I bought two (SLI) 7800GTs a little over 6 years ago. The first died at 4 years, and the second is now dieing. If I cleaned off the heatsink and put new thermal paste on it might start working better again. But honestly, after this long I can't play the latest games even on low settings. I've also had other graphics cards never die and end up getting tossed because they are useless now.

I actually bought a XFX 6870 just now because it has a lifetime warranty and was the cheapest 6870 available with sales and rebates. I figure I'll probably run it for 5 years and if it breaks then I might just get a nice free upgrade.
October 24, 2011 6:57:26 PM

Thanks guys, I never OC'ed it and I don't use it all day. It's usually idle. I have a 750 watts power supply its a Corsair one which I don't see on the newegg list anymore, but it was the top one a year or so ago. My gpu sits at 50c idle using dual monitors and playing the BF3 beta it hit like 73c-74 max. I hope it last a long time.
October 24, 2011 7:01:18 PM

My 5870, with a mild oc, has been running strong for over a year.
My old rig has a pair of 3870's, oc'd for over three years.
I have no complaints.
October 24, 2011 7:03:56 PM

Actually I think its only a year old my video card, I actually bought this computer from my brother this summer, he got the rig early 2010, so I guess its only a year old in use. So how long do you think it'll last without OC and playing battlefield 3 a lot ? ha i'll be on that a lot.
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:23:36 PM

What brand is it anyway ?
October 24, 2011 7:33:03 PM

You have the warranty or not?
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:34:25 PM

XFX has lifetime warrenty in the USA i believe ? If you did mail in the warrenty right away or something.
October 24, 2011 7:35:59 PM

I doubt my brother mailed the warranty. I have no idea.
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:37:30 PM

If your temps are in the 70's,your not O.C.ing and you have a quality PSU it should last you a while.I wouldn't worry about it to much.I'm sure you will move on to a new PC long before the card dies.

xcomvic does have a good point.You should see if XFX was offering lifetime warranty when the card was bought.XFX is known for providing a lifetime warranty.

Best solution

October 24, 2011 7:38:37 PM

Thanks, I am just paranoid on this stuff and don't know much about computers. Hopefully I have a job before it dies if it does :) 
a c 104 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:52:41 PM

Good luck with the card and finding a new job. Don't forget to clean the card cooler once in a while.
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 7:54:07 PM

^+1

Just get a can of compressed air and shoot it at it.
October 24, 2011 8:04:24 PM

Thanks guys, I did a dust clean a few weeks ago, my friends say my card isn't loud, I must have good ears or something :p 
a c 214 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 8:11:48 PM

GPU fans on high performance cards like the 5870 can seem loud to someone that's not experienced with them.They create a lot of heat and the fan revs up to dissipate it.
a c 355 U Graphics card
October 24, 2011 9:30:21 PM

Based on my experience, my video cards lasted from 6 months to 3+ years. My GeForce 4200 Ti died after 6 month and of course I could not find the receipt to get it serviced. My Radeon 9800 Pro lasted me 3 years, before I gave my PC away to my cousin. I should call him up and find out if the card still works. If not, then I'll tell him he owes me $300 which is the price I paid for it back in 2003 I believe.

My current card, the Radeon HD 5850 is still holding up pretty well which was purchased back in Sept 2009. I'm not a hardcore gamer so hopefully it'll last about another 2 years before it needs to be replaced whether to hardware failure or lack of performance.
!