Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard selection for first-time builder

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 2:02:41 AM

Hi All,

This is my first shot at a gaming/performance PC, and I need your advice. So far, I have:

CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: GTX 570 (Asus)
- I also plan to get a higher end SSD (ie: 120gb OCZ Vertex 3)

My next step going to be purchasing a motherboard. My priorities are overclocking, to play the best games out there at best quality (namely Skyrim), ability to put the GPU in SLI sometime in the future when only one can't handle the best games, solid performance, stability and speed.

In terms of budget, I'm very value oriented, so I'd buy a $200 card over a $150 card if it was really worth it.

Thanks, I appreciate all answers!

Jaqub

P.S.
If you guy also have advice on any components I'm missing that would go well with this build (ie: RAM, Power Supply, ?case) that would also be very welcome!
December 22, 2011 2:43:38 AM

A motherboard with a Z68 chipset from gigabyte, ASUS , Asrock or MSI .

You can search on newegg for additional features like the ability to SLI two graphics cards . All boards will perform similarly at stock speeds , and a few very expensive boards will overclock slightly higher .
Right now OCing is not of much use to a gamer . The graphics card is generally the limitation , but then a game like Skyrim could be the exception since it doesnt seem to be able to make use of more than two cores .
m
l
December 22, 2011 2:52:25 AM

jaqub7 said:
Hi All,

This is my first shot at a gaming/performance PC, and I need your advice. So far, I have:

CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: GTX 570 (Asus)
- I also plan to get a higher end SSD (ie: 120gb OCZ Vertex 3)

My next step going to be purchasing a motherboard. My priorities are overclocking, to play the best games out there at best quality (namely Skyrim), ability to put the GPU in SLI sometime in the future when only one can't handle the best games, solid performance, stability and speed.

My suggestions for motherboard would be this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
You can search on newegg for additional features like the ability to SLI two graphics cards . All boards will perform similarly at stock speeds , and a few very expensive boards will overclock slightly higher .

Yeah but those boards can be $300 - $400+ and they're not gonna matter unless you're taking your CPU well over 4.5GHz. It's probably best to go with a $200 board for now.

Quote:
If you guy also have advice on any components I'm missing that would go well with this build (ie: RAM, Power Supply, ?case) that would also be very welcome!

Well what else do you need? If you post some ideas of what you have picked out, I can recommend some stuff that I use that would probably be well suited to this build.
m
l
!