Radeon 6950 freezes

AlistairH1993

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Today I upgraded my system from a shitty 500watt psu to a coolermaster 650watt and also upgraded to a radeon 5770 to a radeon 6950. Before I was expereinces a spilt second freeze, this seemed to occur during rendering. Now the effect is even worse, this happens in every game. I am completely stumped to what it could be. Recently I went to London technology system and all the systems I tried had the same sort of lag so I jut assumed this is something that occurs anyway! Any Ideas?

PS I needed to pull out my heatsink (thermaltake frio) to get at the 12 volt rail. I forgot to lift the leaver and ripped the cpu out bending 6 or 7 pins on the corner. I have straightened these and used prime 95 for 2 hours to check it was alright. Everything seems correct and right however could this have an influence?

AlistairH1993

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Cooler Master GX650 I asssume ?

Have u tried a fresh Windows installation ?
how old is ur hard drive?
what drivers are u using?
and RMA ur CPU, just say u only recently noticed the pins were bended. :D

You have really got me thinking about rma cpu now xD, just looked at the website and they say they will not replace with bent or damaged pins, I have to think of a way to say its fucked because they say they test the cpu. Any Ideas??? Oh and yesterday the 6950 packed up completely and I sent that off for replacement today. Piece of shite from sapphire! The drivers were the latest and my hard drive is 10 months old :)

AlistairH1993

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Yeah, I think the cpu is fine, I have had a lucky escape as I pime 95'd for like a whole night and no crashes or anything, Just piece of mind if I could get a new cpu ;). but yeah the pins are perfect, they fit in the socket fine and clearly work! Yeah I know what u mean about the 6950, I just think it was faulty tbh!

AlistairH1993

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Hmm, I mean I notice the same lag on xbox's ps3's and other gaming systems I have been on. The lag is that minor it doesn't bother me tbh. I went to London Gaming convention and they lan parties and all sorts. Systems much more superior to mine and there was the same lag I noticed. I think Im just being extremely picky xD but yeah. It doesn't hinder gameplay at all tbf.