Sign in with
Your question
Solved

The reason Apple moves to AMD GPUs from NVIDIA's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 7:06:28 PM

Hi,
It seems Apple just refreshed its Macbook Pro lineup. I know since 2011 they moved to AMD Radeon GPUs and just curious
what is the reason?
Is this a licensing reason for switching graphics that might need x86 license? I personally dont think so 'Cause NVIDIA already
has plenty of these switchable graphics between intel's and GFs systems.
I couldn't find the exact reason to moving to AMD GPUs.
Thank you.
a b À AMD
October 24, 2011 7:42:59 PM

they are cheaping out and want to charge more? :D 
m
l
October 24, 2011 7:43:11 PM

AMD made an offer they couldn't refuse ? :sol:  Dunno. Also don't understand why XFX and Sapphire ( i believe ) only use AMD.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 7:46:23 PM

Companies like Sapphire and PowerColor are AMD partners I think just like Galaxy and ZOTAC and other partners of NVIDIA
You can find them on NVIDIA's page
m
l
October 24, 2011 7:46:33 PM

amuffin said:
they are cheaping out and want to charge more? :D 

If by "cheaping out" you mean that they cost less in money AND in power while producing if not surpassing in performance then yes sir you are correct:) 
m
l
Anonymous
October 24, 2011 9:30:46 PM

Toms still doesn't report on new Macbook pros -Good or Bad MBPs not matters-
And I can see everyday Toms lists some sort of old news about Jobs or Apple and what a shame those Comments about one of greatest peoples in the world:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/steve-jobs-walter-isaacson-...
Or maybe Toms making money with these whole Android things...
anyways didn't someone get the answer please?
m
l
a b À AMD
October 25, 2011 2:33:14 AM

the most likely answer is reduced power consumption and good performance. Apple lamptops are often prized for their good battery life, having a more efficient GPU would help that, and amd offer more efficient gpu's than nvidia.
m
l
October 25, 2011 3:36:50 AM

alot of factors will come into it.

as its a notebook battery life has a big part. and because the MBP's are a "Premimum" product if its costs 20% more but gets 20% better power efficency then im sure its prob worth it for them.

Cost, Power Consumption, Performance, Physical Size & im sure other factors will end up making the decision sway from one to the other.

I'm not saying ATI is better at ALL of those things but better at what APPLE is looking for in a GPU solution right now.
m
l
Anonymous
October 25, 2011 7:24:29 AM

Thanks guys. So its not about x86 licensing at all, right?
m
l
a b À AMD
October 25, 2011 9:32:55 AM

next thing you know they are going to be switching to AMD CPUs >.>
m
l
Anonymous
October 25, 2011 9:41:13 AM

Quote:

I hope so ;) 
m
l
a b À AMD
October 25, 2011 11:30:41 AM

amuffin said:

not sure about that. intel will be more aggressive on the power consumption front with Ivy Bridge. it has better performance than current sandy bridge but it consume less than sandy bridge :p 

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/44433...
m
l

Best solution

October 25, 2011 1:04:08 PM

Quote:
Hi,
It seems Apple just refreshed its Macbook Pro lineup. I know since 2011 they moved to AMD Radeon GPUs and just curious
what is the reason?
Is this a licensing reason for switching graphics that might need x86 license? I personally dont think so 'Cause NVIDIA already
has plenty of these switchable graphics between intel's and GFs systems.
I couldn't find the exact reason to moving to AMD GPUs.
Thank you.

1) Money is always one of the reason
2) Power consumption.... Apple is very particular about battery life. Battery life is more important than small difference in performance. You dont see kick ass graphics on Apple Mac Books.
3) Availability
4) Corporate or business politics. Apple is a high maintenance customer and there is no "Sacred Cows" w/ respect to its supplier. That is all supplier including CPU. Don't be surprise to see Mac Book (low end) running on ARM base architecture in the future. When the QUAD Core ARM comes out that's a strong possibility.... This is just to state a point on how APPLE manage its suppliers.

Most of these are done at corporate level discussion and never made public.
Anonymous
October 25, 2011 8:14:34 PM

Best answer selected by return.
m
l
!