Adding fans to my Case

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 27, 2012 6:24:12 PM

i have this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this case was for my old system i built 4 years ago...but to save money i just used it again for the latest build: i5 2500k on a Gigabyte UD3H Z68 mobo, 8gb Ripjaws RAM, 700w OCZ PSU, SSD, and GTX 560.

the 2500k has a Hyper 212+ on it, and idles at 30c, 32c, 35c, 29c on each core in a room that sits about 73F. i feel like the temps are pretty good with no OC, and they don't quite reach 60c during p95 either. however, i think i could get them a little better, and think i could do that by adding a few fans.

the fans i have are 1 80mm in the bottom front, 1 120mm in the top rear, 1 165mm PSU fan, 1 120mm CPU fan. i also have a side vent and the entire front of this case is mesh. i am considering adding an 80mm to the side vent, and an additional 200mm fan (which will need to be custom modded) into the CD drive trays i am not using at the top front of the case.

how much do you think this might help temps and airflow? my PSU is modular so there aren't a whole lot of cables inside the case, so i think adding fans is the only way to decrease my temps. thanks for any help.

More about : adding fans case

a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 6:43:59 PM

Adding the side fan should help alot. That fan will blow cold air directly at your cpu and ram and may help more than the ones you have going now since it will blow cold air directly to most of the components throwing heat.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 6:46:23 PM

adding the side 80mm is fine but since your temps are fine, why add the extra fans? people tend to go overboard with fans (remember case brands also sell fans so it's in their interest to place fans everywhere, not yours)

this article should help you but I personally would leave well enough alone
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-coo...
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 8:27:01 PM

i just thought adding fans was a good idea because you see so many cases that have so many fans these days, i figured it had to be good! sounds like the side one is the only worthwhile upgrade. what sort of temp changes could i expect?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 8:47:25 PM

tuffluck said:
i just thought adding fans was a good idea because you see so many cases that have so many fans these days, i figured it had to be good! sounds like the side one is the only worthwhile upgrade. what sort of temp changes could i expect?

not a clue. sometimes the side fan actually increases temps. your best bet is to test it out yourself as cases and fans come in different shapes, sizes, speeds, etc., etc.,
m
l
!