Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Doubts on PSU requirements

Last response: in Components
March 27, 2012 7:32:09 PM

I'm somewhat of a newbie to custom builds. I just completed my first custom build a couple weeks ago. Although I have some doubts on my PSU. I've currently got a Corsair HX750 to run the following:

ASUS x58 Sabertooth Motherboard
Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
Qty (6) 4GB DIMMs of DDR3 = 24GB RAM
AMD Radeon 4670 for Video
Qty (2) 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in RAID 0 for boot partition
Qty (6) 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen HD204UI SATA HDD in RAID 5 for data partition
1 DVD-RW drive
1 BD-RE/DVD/CD drive
up to 3 USB devices (occassionally connected portable 2.5" USB HDD, web cam, etc)
...all in a NZXT H2 case

I've run this all through the PSU calculator, and even at 100% load it's only recommending a total of 504w. I'm a n00b, but this seems low to me. I know my video card is modest and intentionally so as I'm not using this for any gaming whatsoever. I mainly use for massage amounts of storage and some modest virtualization for testing/dev purposes.

I'm concerned that my 750W is not enough, but according to this calculator it seems I'm OK. However, I'm concerned that I'm under powered and given the time & money I've sunk into the HDDs for this, I want to be 100% sure I'm covered and not way off on my power requirements. Can some of you seasoned veterans please chime in with some feedback/advice and recommendations?

a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 7:37:59 PM

Hi :) 

ANY average quality 500 w would do....your 750 is overkill but fine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:44:44 PM

Thanks Brett. Very much appreciate the kind and quick response. Out of curiosity what are the big wattage hogs? I've got this thing chock full of drives and expected the needs to be much higher. I see folks putting 1000+W PSUs in their rigs & curious as to why you would ever need such power....unless you're rendering Jurassic Park 4 or something...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 7:53:40 PM

maphias said:
Thanks Brett. Very much appreciate the kind and quick response. Out of curiosity what are the big wattage hogs? I've got this thing chock full of drives and expected the needs to be much higher. I see folks putting 1000+W PSUs in their rigs & curious as to why you would ever need such power....unless you're rendering Jurassic Park 4 or something...

Hi :) 

I own computer shops in the UK and sell PSUs ...

People ALWAYS overestimate what they NEED.....because they have "heard" that bigger is better....

My personal gaming tower runs 2 x 5870 radeons (2 gb per card) ...its the graphics cards that eat power by the way...

I run 4 hds plus those 2 cards plus a BlueRay and a few other bits and bobs on a 750 Ocz PSU....

So yours will be fine...unless you go for twin big graphics cards.....then you MAY have to go bigger....

Oh and those work out your power requirement tables are generally a load of tosh.....they ALWAYS error on the safe side... i.e. higher than needed...

All the best Brett :) 
a c 1178 ) Power supply
March 27, 2012 8:05:10 PM

In your particular system the i7-920 under full processing load is going to draw considerably more power than your Radeon HD 4670 would draw under a full GPU load.
m
l
April 5, 2012 11:58:27 PM

Best answer selected by maphias.
m
l
!