Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade advice needed!

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 9:19:05 AM

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer a bit. Below should hopefully show my current specs.

I have about enough experience putting computers together to put them together, but in terms of knowing what I have and what I need, I'm way behind.

I think I might be looking at a motherboard/CPU upgrade, but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

More about : upgrade advice needed

a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 9:32:44 AM

If you click on the picture, can you read what's there? I can't. Please post in text what your hardware is, your budget and what you want to use the computer for.
December 22, 2011 9:48:57 AM

Damn, was hoping that I could just put the screen print of specs up. Looks like my net-fu isn't good enough.

Specs:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Motherboard - ASUSTeK M3A32-MVP Deluxe
Memory - 4GB DDR2
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Useage:

Modern games. Wanting to move from 'a bit choppy' to 'wonderfully smooth when everything around me is on fire'.

Budget:

Not after cutting edge tech... and not too sure of my options, what I would need to upgrade at the moment, or what. Any figure I get here would be somewhat naive guesswork.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 10:04:51 AM

Cheapest significant upgrade would be to get a Phenom II X6 1100T. You might need to update your motherboard's BIOS, but the CPU is on the supported list.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 10:28:07 AM

tlmck said:
Cheapest significant upgrade would be to get a Phenom II X6 1100T X4 955BE.

December 22, 2011 11:18:42 AM

Sorry - can you explain why the X4 955BE rather than the X6 1100T?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 23, 2011 6:01:39 AM

The 955BE quad core is less expensive than the 1100T 6 core. Tom's Hardware ranks it about the same in their hierarchy charts, although it is a little behind in actual benchmarks. The 955BE also lacks the turbo mode included in the 1100T, but is still overclockable. Given your older motherboard, you may wish to weigh the pros and cons of overclocking. As board components age, their ability to handle overclock diminishes.
December 28, 2011 10:16:21 AM

I've ordered the 955BE on your advice. Will I need to update the motherboard's BIOS? How do I do this?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 7:02:00 AM

Visit the ASUS web site and locate your motherboard. There will be a download tab. Download the most current BIOS for your MB, along with BIOS utilities. They will have readme files as to their operation.

If you have a CD that came with your motherboard, it may have the BIOS utility already on it. Many of these disks are also bootable so you can try that and see what comes up. I cannot recall if ASUS has a Windows utility program for this.
January 9, 2012 11:14:15 AM

I have now installed the new CPU, and so far, it's working fantastically. Thanks!
!