Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8Z77-M HDMI output doesn't display until Windows starts

February 3, 2013 9:02:26 PM

I just rebuilt my HTPC. I went with an ASUS P8Z77-M Motherboard with an Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz proc. I'm using the HD 4000 video in the proc (no discrete video card.)

I don't get any video at all until Windows actually starts. I can't go into the BIOS settings or see the Windows system startup menu. I have the HTPC plugged into a Samsung Plasma display via HDMI--which is the same setup I had with the previous motherboard (Zotac IonITX motherboard.) On the Ion, I could see the BIOS splash screen, etc. On this one, the TV displays "no signal" until the Windows GUI starts (presumably until Windows loads the display driver.)

It's even gone into the Windows 7 startup repair GUI once, and I didn't have any video at all through the HDMI. I eventually plugged a monitor into the VGA port and saw that the Windows startup repair was waiting for me to answer a prompt.

I've gone into the BIOS on the P8Z77, and changed Primary Display from "AUTO" to "iGPU", which didn't help. I don't see any other settings in the BIOS/UEFI that seem applicable to this.

This isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying, because it means i need to lug a monitor into the home theater room and hook it up if I want to see anything pre-Windows boot (such as making BIOS-settings changes.) Also, I'm sort of "flying blind" if anything goes wrong (like when the startup repair automatically launched.)

Anyone know of a way to remedy this? Thanks!
!