Sign in with
Your question

Network Utility

Last response: in Networking
May 25, 2005 1:52:58 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for a Windows based network utility that will check what ports/protocols are open/blocked on an internal network?

I'm looking for something with a little more of friendly interface/reporting. I have a couple older utilities that run through and give pages of reports that I have to drudge through.

More about : network utility

May 26, 2005 12:15:59 PM

IP-Tools is pretty good but not free. You can also download a live linux cd like knoppix, ubuntu or mepis which boots directly from the cd and doesn't touch your harddrive. Nmap is still the best free portscanner.

---
I want my epitaph to be: "Moved to /dev/null"
May 26, 2005 1:19:42 PM

The IP-Tools looks good. Wasn't aware of that one. I know of knoppix but it's not something that I want to use in this case. I'm looking for something that I can put on multiple servers to have them test connections back and forth, let me know when servers drop or start to time out, etc.

We're putting in VPN connections over T1 lines to 40+ locations, some are going to branch out to other locations while most will just come back to one main location.

Problem is, I don't think our consultants really know what they're doing since they seem to have all these problems setting up their portion of our Cisco equipment.

I'm looking for a program that will help me find bottlenecks, slow downs, speeds, peak usage, etc. I need to find times at each location when I would be able to do a robocopy/xcopy of a shared location to all locations. Since a lot of locations run 24 hours and no one around here seems to know when select back-ups run (they're automated to do it when they have the time) I need to figure out patterns are each location.

Plus, our Sprint lines seem to be unreliable as one or two have problems or one goes down each week. I need to find this out before our standard 1-2/hour later phone call from the plant.

My Manger uses an outdated version of SolarWinds, but since I receive around 500-1000 alert emails a day, all but 1 might be relevant, it's more of a pain to go through all those records.

I'm looking for something simple.. if a ping keeps dropping, I know my site is down and I want an alert.. that kind of stupid deal.. heh.

I've been out looking around, but right now it's I find a program, download it, mess around, don't like it. I'd rather have something someone else knows works and can recommend.
!