Closed

Visiting th UK need GSM SIM Card service

What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?

Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
UK during a short term visit?

Thnaks
17 answers Last reply
More about visiting card service

    "Ian" <ian@jardine.net> wrote in message
    > What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    > gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    >
    > Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    > UK during a short term visit?

    From what you describe, you probably want to get a VirginMobile SIM once you
    arrive. Check out http://www.prepaidgsm.net

    --
    Donald R. Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    You can get a SIM card on your arrival in UK. Go to anyone of the phone
    stores and ask for a prepaid SIM.

    On 18 May 2004 20:44:32 -0700, ian@jardine.net (Ian) wrote:

    >What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    >gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    >
    >Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    >UK during a short term visit?
    >
    >Thnaks
    Best deal is probably Virgin Mobile, they don't have time limits. So
    you can use the same sim next year..

    "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > You can get a SIM card on your arrival in UK. Go to anyone of the
    phone
    > stores and ask for a prepaid SIM.
    >
    > "Ian" <ian@jardine.net> wrote in message
    > > What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    > > gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    > >
    > > Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in
    the
    > > UK during a short term visit?

    Or buy one before you leave the U.S., e.g.,
    http://www.planetomni.com/SIM_CTRY_uk_DTL.shtml

    --
    John

    I looked at the website your suggested and it looks like buying online
    before leaving USA is much more expensive -- 2 to 3 times as much!

    In most countries, you can buy a SIM card at every street corner (they sell
    them in convenience stores), so I don't see the point of purchasing in
    advance. Unless, of course, you need to make a phone call the instant you
    land at the airport. Even then, I would simply roam using my USA phone.

    "Donald Newcomb" <drnewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> writes:

    > "Ian" <ian@jardine.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    >> UK during a short term visit?
    >
    > From what you describe, you probably want to get a VirginMobile SIM once you
    > arrive. Check out http://www.prepaidgsm.net

    And if you're flying in to London, I know both Heathrow and Gatwick
    have Virgin stores in them, which sell the 10 pounds for 5 pounds of
    airtime SIM joining pack.

    During my last visit, my hotel was too close to a Virgin Megastore, so
    I kept calling home for 20p/minute and buying airtime cards. :-)

    Bob

    matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wandered out of a yurt and mumbled:

    >On 18 May 2004 20:44:32 -0700, ian@jardine.net (Ian) wrote:
    >
    >>What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    >>gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    >>
    >>Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    >>UK during a short term visit?
    >>
    >>Thnaks
    >Best deal is probably Virgin Mobile, they don't have time limits. So
    >you can use the same sim next year..

    According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    you know if this is enforced?

    I'd appreciate knowing the true story as I'm leaving for the UK in a
    week or so and have a VM (UK) SIM that was last used just over 180
    days ago... :-(

    --
    "Music is, after all, a highly complex form of mathmatical
    encryption. It's so powerful that in modulates human

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:59:52 GMT, chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles
    Hawtrey) wrote:

    >matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wandered out of a yurt and mumbled:
    >
    >>On 18 May 2004 20:44:32 -0700, ian@jardine.net (Ian) wrote:
    >>
    >>>What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    >>>gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    >>>
    >>>Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    >>>UK during a short term visit?
    >>>
    >>>Thnaks
    >>Best deal is probably Virgin Mobile, they don't have time limits. So
    >>you can use the same sim next year..
    >
    >According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    >phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    >you know if this is enforced?
    So far it hasn't been, I am in the UK once a year, and I've had the
    SIM for 2+ years. However the rules may have been different 2 year
    ago. Even at that 6 months is long compared to most prepaids.

    >I'd appreciate knowing the true story as I'm leaving for the UK in a
    >week or so and have a VM (UK) SIM that was last used just over 180
    >days ago... :-(

    > According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    > phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    > you know if this is enforced?

    Yes, after 180 days, the SIM card automatically cancels. It's computerized
    so enforcement is a matter of routine.

    chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles Hawtrey) wandered out of a yurt and
    mumbled:

    >According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    >phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    >you know if this is enforced?
    >
    >I'd appreciate knowing the true story as I'm leaving for the UK in a
    >week or so and have a VM (UK) SIM that was last used just over 180
    >days ago... :-(

    To answer my own post, I called the mobile's number and was connected
    to voicemail, suggesting the number still is good. For good measure I
    sent an email to Virgin Mobile UK customer service who confirmed that
    the number is active. So it appears the 180 day policy is not
    strictly enforced.

    --
    "Music is, after all, a highly complex form of mathmatical
    encryption. It's so powerful that in modulates human
    emotion on soundwaves." Mike Spence

    Good news.
    I heard somewhere that Virgin Mobile numbers now do not expire. That's
    great for travelers to UK who wish to visit again and again.

    "Charles Hawtrey" <chawtrey@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles Hawtrey) wandered out of a yurt and
    > mumbled:
    >
    > >According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    > >phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    > >you know if this is enforced?
    > >
    > >I'd appreciate knowing the true story as I'm leaving for the UK in a
    > >week or so and have a VM (UK) SIM that was last used just over 180
    > >days ago... :-(
    >
    > To answer my own post, I called the mobile's number and was connected
    > to voicemail, suggesting the number still is good. For good measure I
    > sent an email to Virgin Mobile UK customer service who confirmed that
    > the number is active. So it appears the 180 day policy is not
    > strictly enforced.
    >

    > --
    > "Music is, after all, a highly complex form of mathmatical
    > encryption. It's so powerful that in modulates human
    > emotion on soundwaves." Mike Spence

    On 18 May 2004 20:44:32 -0700, ian@jardine.net (Ian) wrote:

    >What options are there for a visitor to the UK who has a compatible
    >gsm world cellphone (unlocked ex voicestream actually)?
    >
    >Are there any prepaid SIMs available to make and receive calls in the
    >UK during a short term visit?

    All of the GSM operators in the UK have prepaid or as they call them
    "pay as you go" or "pay as you talk" plans. You'll likely be able to
    get a prepaid starter kit for any of the networks at Car Phone
    Warehouse. The only one that would not work for you is the "3"
    network, but I'm not even sure if they have a prepaid PAYG option on
    that network.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 04:45:57 GMT, "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >Good news.
    >I heard somewhere that Virgin Mobile numbers now do not expire. That's
    >great for travelers to UK who wish to visit again and again.

    Does Virgin Mobile PAYG roam in the US as does T-Mobile's PAYG?

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Here's a website that will send you a UK prepaid SIM card from any carrier
    you want at a very reasonable price even after you add postage. They ship
    to the US. http://www.directdeals999.com
    It takes about a week usually for the SIM to arrive, but allow 10 days to be
    safe.
    Have a good trip.
    -- Cary

    > I looked at the website your suggested and it looks like buying online
    > before leaving USA is much more expensive -- 2 to 3 times as much!
    >
    > In most countries, you can buy a SIM card at every street corner (they
    sell
    > them in convenience stores), so I don't see the point of purchasing in
    > advance. Unless, of course, you need to make a phone call the instant you
    > land at the airport. Even then, I would simply roam using my USA phone.
    >

    > > Or buy one before you leave the U.S., e.g.,
    > > http://www.planetomni.com/SIM_CTRY_uk_DTL.shtml
    > >
    > > --
    > > John

    I have an Orange UK PAYG SIM and similarly visit about once a year, and it
    still works.

    For Orange you need a street address, but the flat I was renting for a few
    days served fine.

    Cheers, Andy

    "matt weber" <mattheww50@cox.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:59:52 GMT, chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles
    > Hawtrey) wrote:
    >
    > >matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net> wandered out of a yurt and mumbled:

    > >>Best deal is probably Virgin Mobile, they don't have time limits. So
    > >>you can use the same sim next year..
    > >
    > >According to VM's website, "Customers who choose not to use their
    > >phones after 180 days may be disconnected and lose their number." Do
    > >you know if this is enforced?
    > So far it hasn't been, I am in the UK once a year, and I've had the
    > SIM for 2+ years. However the rules may have been different 2 year
    > ago. Even at that 6 months is long compared to most prepaids.
    > >
    > >I'd appreciate knowing the true story as I'm leaving for the UK in a
    > >week or so and have a VM (UK) SIM that was last used just over 180
    > >days ago... :-(

  16. I just purchased an Orange SIM card in London and was told the card/number would expire unless it was used every six months.

    BUT just send a text message = "using the card", so that's cheap insurance to keep the card active.

    But check re your SIM card.

GSM Cell Phones SIM Card