560ti failing on Deus Ex: HR or is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boony

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
After reading IGN's Graphics Settings Guide, and seeing that they were able to max out all settings with a Nvidia 460 at 1980x1080, I was sure my evga 560ti would breeze through Deus Ex: HR (Steam) playing at 1680x1050.
However I find that I am experiencing severe stuttering while playing the game.

I fired up FRAPS and noticed my frame rate never dipped below 55 fps while playing, but the stuttering was still there.

The problem was somewhat mitigated by turning V-SYNC and Triple buffering on, but not completely, and this introduced a slight mouse lag.

I then turned AA and SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) off, set shadows to Normal (soft shadows off), while leaving the rest of the settings at max.
On these setting, the stuttering is for the most part gone.

While the game does not look bad (except for the jaggies), according to everything I've read, a 560ti should handle max settings no problem.

I tried rolling back to Nvidia driver 275.33 and trying the newest beta 285.38, but no luck.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it's something I'm doing wrong, but for the life of me, I don't know what.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

System:
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB, 850 MHz, Shaders: 384
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDDs x 3: WD Velociraptor 150 GBs (system), WD Caviar Black 640 GBs (Data), WD Caviar Black 2 TBs (Data)
Optical x 2: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA and a SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
Monitor: Dell 2209WA 1680x1050
Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II, dust filters added to side vents and cleaned out once every 2 weeks - no dust.

Nvidia Control Panel settings:
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic Filtering: App controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
Antialiasing Mode: App controlled
Antialiasing Setting: App controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency: Multisample
CUDA GPU's: All
Max Pre-rendered frames: 3
Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: on
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimization - On
Threaded Optimization - Auto
Triple Buffering - Off
Vertical Sync: Use 3D app setting

Security Programs (DefenseWall HIPs, Zemana) turned off during gaming. System defragged (O&O) after installing game.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's a problem with the game, not your card. Just google "deus ex stuttering" and take a look. If you haven't patched the game give it a try. Helps for some people but not others.

boony

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
jyjjy, thanks for the reply.
I thought it might be the game, but when searching, I found such a mix of replies, I thought my card may be going bad.
I have Steam set to auto-update the game, and no luck so far.
Eidos apparently is still working on the problem, so I'll have to wait and see what develops.
Thanks again for taking the time.

+1. for me the patch did not entirely solved the micro stuttering issue but still it is better after the patch

try other games. if there was something wrong with your card other games should be affected as well.

Micro stuttering is an issue specific to multi-card setups. This would properly be termed just normal stuttering.

boony

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Am currently playing Mass Effect 2, before that I threw Crysis on just to test it out, and both ran fine.

So, relieved it's not the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.