SSD only showing up. Not hard drive. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynix

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello! Recently I built with help a new PC running Windows 7. This build had an SSD installed along with my 1TB Seagate harddrive. However, a Best Buy employee who helped with the building process apparently only installed/set-up the SSD so only the SSD shows up under my computer. This is a problem because I don't want all of my programs installed on my SSD for obvious reasons. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help! (If you need exact specs for either of the memory units just ask.)

Solution
Hmmm well try this, power down, unplug the sata plug from the suspect drive leaving the power hooked up to it. Start windows get to your desktop, then plug the hdd in see if the found new hardware icon will pop up.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello JHynix :hello:

First things first, does the HDD show up in the bios screen? Assuming it does the next course of action is to find it in Disk management. Click start, right click on Computer and click Manage, then click disk management. Does the HDD show up here as something like unallocated space or something? First you may need to right click on it and select format, then right click again and click Mark Partition as Active, then Change or add drive letter. After this your computer should pop up a Found New Hardware screen, this means your drive is active, marked, and usable. Problem solved.

If this doesn't work open CMD and type diskpart, then list disk, see if the drive shows up there. If it does, judging by the size say it's disk 1, as disk 0 is always c:. Type in this order>select disk 1>clean>create partition primary>format fs=ntfs quick >exit>exit. Now go into disk management and see if its there and do the aforementioned steps above.

Just my 2 cents do with it what you will. :D

Hynix

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello again. alexiou's suggestion did not work and the only three things that showed up under Disk Management were my SSD and two unfamiliar drives one being called Setup (D:) and the other called System Reserved the former had 72 mb capacity and the latter had 100 mb. My friend said he had the same problem and had to wipe his SSD and re-install all of his programs on his harddrive. The cmd suggestion did not work either as only my SSD showed up. Any other suggestions? I looked under bios as well and only the SSD and my DVD writer showed up. Thanks

Hynix

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

refer to above if you do respond please ;)

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hmmm well try this, power down, unplug the sata plug from the suspect drive leaving the power hooked up to it. Start windows get to your desktop, then plug the hdd in see if the found new hardware icon will pop up.

Solution

Hynix

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well I got the harddrive to show up under device manager. It just wasn't connected to a SATA which I had plenty of extras of. I appreciate your help. Will best answer you hillmanant. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.