Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New i7 2600k build without dedicated gpu

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 22, 2011 1:42:34 PM

Hello guys ,
I am buying a new pc within 2-3 days and need help.
Usage : photoshop, gaming , simulation programs , watching movies and games.

I do have the following parts.
i7 2600k
cm storm
cm 600w psu
mouse + keyboard.

Preferred websites - newegg.
Parts preferrence - mobo - asus, asrock, gigabyte.
monitor - no preference

Since ,I don't game much . I think I don't want a dedicated gpu.
I think intel 3000 GPU can handle COD 4 with normal/low settings.

I want your suggestions on MOBO and Monitor .

I have a budget of 200-220$ for MOBO and I need a 24 inch monitor. with resolution of 1920*1080.

In MOBO, I require USB 3.0 , PCI3.0(not needed now, but if available its better), SLI supported , SATA 6.0, and 32 gb support.
Since I will use intergrated graphics , I think I will have to buy a Z68 chipset.
1 thing I don't understand ,Shared memory in the motherboard?

Please suggest me a mobo and a monitor.

Thank you guys,any suggestions are welcome
December 22, 2011 3:46:18 PM

Quote:
Since ,I don't game much . I think I don't want a dedicated gpu.
I think intel 3000 GPU can handle COD 4 with normal/low settings.


No it won't. You will need a dedicated GPU no matter what games you run. Also Photoshop for that matter. Built in video will not do much - it's meant for running applications that don't require a lot of resources. You can really overload your CPU if you run something like COD 4 trying to use built in video, even with a 2600K. You could always get a low cost GPU like the Radeon 6850 - that will be more than ample.

Quote:

1 thing I don't understand ,Shared memory in the motherboard?


I'm not sure I understand this either - what do you mean by shared memory?

Quote:
Please suggest me a mobo and a monitor.


This is my board and it's been great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For monitor that depends on what size you want but this is what I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 4:33:15 PM

arjunjha said:
Since I will use intergrated graphics , I think I will have to buy a Z68 chipset.
1 thing I don't understand ,Shared memory in the motherboard?


Z68 will allow you to overclock an use the onboard video, that said, P67 would work "If" you did NOT want o overclock, but since you have a K cpu, not overclocking is kind of a waste.

Shared memory is a part of system memory used to feed the IGP(graphics card) in the cpu. This memory is take off your total memory.

I would not go as far as to say that the 2600K video card is useless, it is about the best thing intel ever made. I did some testing with it. Played some SC2, Left4dead 2 and Just Cause2. All gamed needed some reduction in detail. Just Cause 2 needed very low settings and was still not that great.

As you can see here, its not on the high end of graphics(its over 15 tiers lower then the mentioned 6850), but may be fine for some users, for any decent gaming, you will want to look at something dedicated.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
0
l
Related resources
December 22, 2011 5:56:23 PM

I also disagree with g-unit. The hd3000 can play cod 4 on med. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.379... And it can handle photoshop just fine, 4k images with 100 layers?; easy, as long as you got the ram. PS its mostly cpu+ram.

The igpu "steals" ram to use as it's vram and this allocated amount cannot be used by the system. Shared ram is different in that it can be dynamically used between the igpu and system. Even with a dedicated gpu you will have shared ram.

There are many mobos that have all those features from the low priced asrock extreme3, up to the higher priced asus z68-v-pro, and many in between such as the gigabyte xp-ud3 or 4, asus z68-v, asrock extreme4, etc. USB3 and sata3 are standard on z68 (sata 6 isn't even out let alone 4 and 5, some refer to sata3 as sata 6Gb/s). PCIE 3.0 is really not necessary, the i7 is plenty of power and you'll probably want a whole new pc instead of an IB upgrade. Any z68 mobo with 4 ram slots supports 32gb and pretty much every z68 has 4 slots.

Personally I would say to put more money in a better psu than a $200 mobo. I'm guessing you want 600w for future sli but that is only enough for 450 sli. But I wouldn't recommend it as the low end cards sli suffer from micro stuttering so a single card would be better.

Acer has the lowest priced monitors on newegg that are good quality. Asus monitors also have good quality in the lower price range.
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 10:30:37 PM

k1114 said:
I also disagree with g-unit. The hd3000 can play cod 4 on med. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.379... And it can handle photoshop just fine, 4k images with 100 layers?; easy, as long as you got the ram. PS its mostly cpu+ram.

The igpu "steals" ram to use as it's vram and this allocated amount cannot be used by the system. Shared ram is different in that it can be dynamically used between the igpu and system. Even with a dedicated gpu you will have shared ram.

There are many mobos that have all those features from the low priced asrock extreme3, up to the higher priced asus z68-v-pro, and many in between such as the gigabyte xp-ud3 or 4, asus z68-v, asrock extreme4, etc. USB3 and sata3 are standard on z68 (sata 6 isn't even out let alone 4 and 5, some refer to sata3 as sata 6Gb/s). PCIE 3.0 is really not necessary, the i7 is plenty of power and you'll probably want a whole new pc instead of an IB upgrade. Any z68 mobo with 4 ram slots supports 32gb and pretty much every z68 has 4 slots.

Personally I would say to put more money in a better psu than a $200 mobo. I'm guessing you want 600w for future sli but that is only enough for 450 sli. But I wouldn't recommend it as the low end cards sli suffer from micro stuttering so a single card would be better.

Acer has the lowest priced monitors on newegg that are good quality. Asus monitors also have good quality in the lower price range.


thanks for the help. I can understand about shared memory now. You are right about investing more in psu. I will do that . Since I am buying the i7 2600k cpu . And I mainly want to overclock the cpu , if possible gpu,( I but don't really need it because I don't game that often. ).I don't want to buy now a gpu for i7 2600k.

For now , my requirement is to just make a rig running , in which the parts I don't need are : Cabinet + PSU + keyboard + mouse(I do have an old psu , when I switch to sli, I will udate my psu)
For storage, I will basically use my WD 2 TB external HDD.
My budget is around 1100$,
in which the parts needed are cpu+ mobo+ ram+ HDD+DVDRAM+ monitor .
thanks
m
0
l
!