Sign in with
Your question

Processor Affinity problems/quirks

Last response: in CPUs
March 28, 2012 12:45:50 AM

I'm getting random stuttering in BF3. Performance overlay shows CPU (and GPU oddly enough) spikes while staring at a wall... all settings on low with resolution set to 800x600.

Setting processor affinity to one of my cores (e8400 at 4ghz) eradicates the random spikes in the performance graph. Albeit my fps drops due to running only at one core. The random stutters correspondingly disappear also.

What would cause such a thing? It runs everything else like a champ.

Everything software/hardware wise is peachy. Drivers, temperatures, MemTest, voltages, etc...

I've reset all my BIOS settings to see if some odd CPU clock hiccup or some such thing was the culprit. No dice...

I understand BF3 thrives on newer quad cores and the like, however I'm more concerned about the strange processor affinity situation.

This strange situation only occurs in BF3, however I feel the problem is more or less associated with my processor.
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2012 1:57:22 AM

Hi :) 

You said "This strange situation only occurs in BF3, however I feel the problem is more or less associated with my processor. "

Its nothing to do with your CPU...its a BF3 problem....

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2012 1:49:05 PM

I note you didn't list your GPU...I also note that I've seen games do some strange things when running at 800x600 performance wise (probably due to scaling issues).
Related resources
March 29, 2012 12:40:23 AM

I've run it at both ends of the spectrum, resolution wise, to see if I could determine a bottleneck. My point being that there shouldn't be any spikes at such a low resolution and or graphical preset.

It's a 5870 OC'd to the moon and back.
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2012 9:25:26 AM

Morgan, are you noticing these issues in Campaign on during Multiplayer play?

The e8400 is a dual core CPU, BF3 pretty much requires a four core for multiplayer games. Has nothing to do with the graphics, just the insane amount of additional things the processor has to track during a big multiplayer match. Two cores is fine for single player play though.
!