When I plug in my GPU, my mATX mobo will not post.

Hello, I have this P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 that I just bought, and it works great. However, it seems to not want to POST when I plug the 6-Pin power into my GTS450.
This issue was persisting with my MSI mATX mobo that I had for a week (and then returned), but now I know it's not a motherboard issue.
14 answers Last reply
More about when plug matx mobo post
  1. AnonSVN said:
    Hello, I have this P8H61-M LX3 R2.0 that I just bought, and it works great. However, it seems to not want to POST when I plug the 6-Pin power into my GTS450.
    This issue was persisting with my MSI mATX mobo that I had for a week (and then returned), but now I know it's not a motherboard issue.

    as long as the 4/8 pin pci power is connected..to give the video card the first 75w of power from the pci slot. then it looks like your video card went bad...all i can say is see if there another pc or video card you can use for testing...also before you call the card dead make sure your mb has the newest bios...as long as it not a beta bios.
  2. smorizio said:
    as long as the 4/8 pin pci power is connected..to give the video card the first 75w of power from the pci slot. then it looks like your video card went bad...all i can say is see if there another pc or video card you can use for testing...also before you call the card dead make sure your mb has the newest bios...as long as it not a beta bios.


    You mean the 4-pin adapter that goes on the middle-right side of the mobo next to the 26-pin/whatever ?

    I have a 9500GT, I can go try that, I guess. But that one doesn't use the 6-pin GPU power cable, so... (Also, I have a secondary 450GTS)
  3. No luck. The 9500GT made the at all. Mind you, this does NOT require the 6-pin power, so it's not a PSU issue.
  4. What exactly are you using for a psu?
    A GTX450 wants a 400w psu and a 6 pin connector.
    A 9500GT wants 350W.

    If you have a less capable psu, you would have those issues.
    Or, if your psu is a cheap one of poor quality, it may not deliver all the advertised power, or may not deliver it on the +12v rail where it is needed.
  5. geofelt said:
    What exactly are you using for a psu?
    A GTX450 wants a 400w psu and a 6 pin connector.
    A 9500GT wants 350W.

    If you have a less capable psu, you would have those issues.
    Or, if your psu is a cheap one of poor quality, it may not deliver all the advertised power, or may not deliver it on the +12v rail where it is needed.


    I believe it is a 550W Thermaltake W0330RU, but I'm not too sure.
    Here's a image of it.

    Enjoy the dust.


    Also, after I removed the 9500GT, the mobo wouldn't post.
    I had the same issue with my old MSI mATX mobo that I had a week ago, so this isn't a motherboard issue for sure.

    Also, for some reason, the 3V rail seems to be very high when I first turn it on. But then it goes down after Windows starts.
  6. That 3.3v issue should be worrisome.
    Thermaltake does not have the greatest reputation.
    See if you can't test with a quality psu.
    Here is a list of quality psu tiers:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
  7. geofelt said:
    That 3.3v issue should be worrisome.
    Thermaltake does not have the greatest reputation.
    See if you can't test with a quality psu.
    Here is a list of quality psu tiers:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx


    Oh, it's a big issue. I just plugged in my GSIII via the USB port and the entire motherboard just shut down.

    And now it won't turn on again :o
    Looks like I'm going to have to wait another 10 minutes for it to recover.
  8. Alright, it takes 20 minutes, I counted.
  9. Okay, uh, well... I just tried to play DOOM on it, and the entire thing just shut down as SOON as I pressed "Play" in Steam.

    So... I don't know any more...
  10. And now it can play DOOM. What is going on?
  11. sounds like a bad power supply.
  12. Okay, hold up. I just got the 9500GT to boot.
    I don't even.
  13. I plugged in my GTS450, didn't POST
    I removed it, and it still doesn't POST.

    What is going on really
  14. bad power supply and it may be killing your parts...
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus GPUs Motherboards