So today my friend gave my his nvidia 1gb 9800gt graphics card, and i got a OCZ 500W power supply online. I installed it and everything went OK. The problem is that i'm idling at around 70C and at a load (counter strike source) I somehow got to 110C. I'm not in the position to buy a cooling fan or anything like that. I was wondering what are some possible solutions that would allow me to cool down my card?
look around the inside of your case. if there is dirt built up on your components, unplug your PC and hit the power button. then, carefully clean every thing with a can of compressed air. Also, if any vents on your case are covered with dirt/dust, clean them.
How many intake/exhaust fans do u have in your case?
1. Clean/replace case/HSF fans. (120mm Yate-Loon fans are around $5)
2. Invest in fan filters (pantyhose works great BTW).
3. Move PC off the floor!
4. Re-apply TIM, and Re-seat the HSF. (are you using the stock HSF? if so look into an aftermarket HSF. The CM Hyper 212+ is $26) *CPU*
5. Is there a high CFM intake/exaust fan in the case? (intake from front, and side. exaust top, and rear)
6. Try a new case (look at the Xigmatek Asgard $30 + $8 S&H).