Sign in with
Your question

Advice on SSD + HDD for new CyberPower machine

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 5:26:29 PM

My new PC from CyberPower will be here next week. The only hard drive included is a 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD drive.

Separately, I purchased a 1 TB WD Caviar Blue SATA III drive.

My original plan was to use the SSD as the boot drive; Windows 7 is being pre-installed on it, and I thought I might install a couple of other programs. Then I'd use the HDD as the storage/main drive.

I have some questions:

1) How much space will Windows 7 take up? Should I even bother installing anything else on the SSD drive?

2) If I can fit more programs on the SSD drive, what should I focus on? Antivirus (plan to use MSE)? Browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox)? MS Office? Something else?

3) Is there anything specific I need to know when I install the HDD? I have an SATA III cable. Are there any settings that need to be adjusted once that drive is installed that would optimize my usage of both the SSD and the HDD?

Other specs: Intel i5 2500 CPU, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6870 1 GB GPU, MSI Z68A-G43 motherboard.

Thanks!
December 26, 2011 11:33:41 PM

Hmm...as it turns out, the new PC won't be here until January 7th or so. Lots of time for some helpful comments on this forum, hopefully.
m
l
January 3, 2012 1:09:30 AM

Wow. I am floored by all the helpful comments. Thanks to everyone who posted! I can see why this site is so revered.

/sarcasm
m
l
!