Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Problem?

Last response: in Components
March 28, 2012 6:21:49 AM

Hello, recently I've been hearing weird noises coming from my computer and I suspect it is due to a lack of power coming out of the PSU I currently have installed. My PSU is an RX-530SS ATX power supply. I have a AMD Athlon tri-core 3.3Ghz processor, an ASUS M5A97 motherboard, an HD 6770 video card (ASUS), two 120mm case fans, a 400GB Caviar Hard drive, and 8Gb(2x4Gb) of RAM at 1333Mhz. Whats going on with it? Also the weird noises are freaking me out. Its like a little charge and then a pop noise, is it coming from my CPU or video card or hard drive? Thanks!

More about : psu problem

a b ) Power supply
March 28, 2012 8:23:15 PM

Take the side off and get down close to the tower and see if you can isolate it. Know anyone with a stethoscope? Or you can even put a straw to your ear, aim the other end at one component at a time and try to isolate the sound.
Score
March 28, 2012 9:04:37 PM

The sound only occurs when I'm playing a game I downloaded on my comp, mind you its not all that demanding and its a pretty old game, Rome Total War. That along with the software for all my components and windows 7 is all that is installed on my computer. Could it be the motherboard? How can i check? I checked the voltage of my rails in the BIOS, and all seem to be within or above by .22volts, so I think we can eliminate that as the problem. The disc drive works like a charm, and I already ran Memtest86 to check the RAM and I had no errors. The processor is most likely working properly, so that leaves the motherboard, the video card, and the hard drive. Thoughts?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
March 28, 2012 9:06:10 PM

Try to isolate the sound first, otherwise it's just a blind guess at best.
Score
April 4, 2012 12:22:34 AM

I figured out the sound was coming from my hard drive, but I ran two diagnostic tests on it, one that comes with windows and another which i transferred via flashdrive. Both found nothing wrong with the hardrive, so I assume its a problem with the motherboard right?
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 2:57:02 AM

Run a defrag, then a chkdsk /f. If that returns no bad sectors, I'd lean towards it not being the HDD.
April 7, 2012 5:38:59 AM

Best answer selected by hassan95.
Score
!